cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

My house is the only one in my newly activated area that can't get fibre?

Hi all,

I’m a long time lurker but first time poster – I’ll preface this with just saying that I’ve always been perfectly happy with my BT Broadband and customer service so I’m quite shocked about what’s gone on over the past 2 or so weeks. 

After a long expected wait for fibre (we were told we would get it in May 2015) we finally got it in our area 3 weeks ago. I’m at this point over the moon – I’m a high usage internet user and I’ll finally be able to watch YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Video etc. in HD!! Maybe even 4K if the fibre is good enough. Not only that but as an avid gamer I should hopefully never be kept waiting 18hours for a 10Gb update that developers are so fond of these days. 

So I logged on and checked via the BT Checker (https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx) if I can get fibre and it says I couldn’t. Very odd I thought; so I gave BT a call to see what’s happening as my neighbour said she’s ordered it already. 

After a 25 minute wait I got through to a very lovely lady. We had a nice chat but it was evident that there was a little bit of a language barrier between us – she misunderstood what I was asking quite a lot but eventually said she’ll put my through to someone who can investigate. 10 minutes later another lovely lady answers. No language barriers here but she did inform me she was the entirely wrong person to be speaking to (this has happened to me once before but I thought nothing of it). She still looked into it for me and did her best (great customer service from her by the way) and said I’ll get a call back.

A week later I get a call back, however, BT called my dad for some reason. Now my property is a building ON my dad’s land. In effect my house is directly outside his – I can look out my window and see what he’s watching on TV type of deal. Fair enough that they may get the 2 Mr’s confused. They proceeded to tell him that fibre is not available for my property because they have ‘run out of space’ and there was nothing that could be done. 

I’m a bit at a loss here as upon checking on the checker I used before – every single house in my area (we’re a small private estate) has fibre – that’s 28 other houses. Except for me and 1 other house which is a new build.

The only thing I can think of is that I recently had BT setup a new phone number for my property as it hadn’t had one in the past and I couldn’t set up the internet without it even though its been there receiving internet for 8 years. 

It seems odd that mine and the newly built property are the only two out of 30 houses that cannot get fibre. Has someone forgotten to do something maybe?

My question is that is there anyone at BT or on the Forum with a similar experience who can advise me what to do? I desperately want fibre – you’ve got a guaranteed sale with me! 

Really sorry for the long post! Hopefully someone can help.

Kind Regards,

Jon

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: My house is the only one in my newly activated area that can't get fibre?

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

it may be that openreach have not updated the database for your phone number and if that is the case then write to openreach  https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

if you get auto reply then send again until you get reply from a person

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Give it a few months and try again.  A friend of mine moved into a house which hadn't had a phone line for a while, when he got his line activated he was told he couldn't get fibre because the cabinet was full.  But after a few months he checked again and he was able to get.  BT must need some time to update their systems so keep trying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

it may be that openreach have not updated the database for your phone number and if that is the case then write to openreach  https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

if you get auto reply then send again until you get reply from a person

Hi Jolly, 

Thanks for your reply. Please see below the results: 

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange COWDEN is served by Cabinet 2

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

And for comparison here's the same of my dad's phone number - I imagine he and I actually may share the same phone line (if that's a thing?) so unsure of the differences 

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number // on Exchange COWDEN is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Potential Wayleave issues.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi psp,

Thanks for your reply - it's somehow nice to hear I'm not the only one!

I'm hoping it doesn't take that long as now that I know it's a possibility I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas on the 24th!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

please delete the phone number for your security

what is difference between the 2 checker results

the second set shows that FTTP is available not FTTC so you need to phone 08005874787 to order if that is your results  as FTTP that would explain why you were having problems ordering FTTC - that is not available but FTTP is

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Woops - forgot about that, thanks for letting me know.

The first one is my house and the second is my dad's house - mine is approx 15ft from his so was unsure if the comparison was useful or not.

Well I'm unable to order any form of fibre, that's the issue, whereas my dad's home is fully able to along with everyone else in the neighbourhood 

Thanks for the help 

Jon 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

did you use the link to contact openreach?  did you try the FTTP phone number as you will have problems trying to order FTTC

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

@imjolly wrote:

did you use the link to contact openreach?  did you try the FTTP phone number as you will have problems trying to order FTTC

I've sent a contact form off but haven't heard back from them just yet. 

I haven't tried it yet as I've been working but I'll be sure to give them a call later today - thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

it can take couple of days to get openreach response but if auto reply then send form again

0 Ratings