cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
very_tired
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

My nightmare with BT, if only I could afford to cancel my account!!!! Please Help!

If you have the time to read my Novel, My nightmare  with BT........ if only I could afford to cancel my account!!!! 

I recently had to move my BT account to a new address, this is the second time I have done this while being with BT, the first time was disaster as the BT engineer didn't turn up on the day that was arranged, hmmmf!! I then had to rebook for another date which was totally annoying as I had to take the entire day off work as the BT engineer can only be booked for a morning or afternoon.

Sadly I had to move again and as I was not at the end of my BT contract I was told that an astronomical cancellation fee would need to be paid, so I bit the bullet and requested to move my contract once again with BT, as I had bad luck the first time I had to do this, I decided to phone BT so nothing could go wrong..... as a glitch in the online system was blamed last time around!!! and as I HARDLY EVER used the unlimited call's package I was sold when mistakingly signing up with BT. So holding my breath I explained to the lady on the phone that I would like to move my BT contract to a new address..... this was no problem, the lady took my details of my old and new address, she came back to the phone and told me that the 31st January was the first available appointment which | agreed on, she then asked If i would like a morning or afternoon appointment and I asked for the afternoon as no one would be there before 11h00, No problem! I also told her that I ONLY WANT the landline and broadband to be moved  and NOT THE UNLIMITED call's package that I didn't need.....  she then asked me to hold the line... which I did, she came back to the phone and told me that there was a problem with the system and she would need to call me back and she could confirm my moving order.  

the phone rang.... lady from BT, wow and in 20 min or so, Everything is set to go! She told me she had sent the confirmation email and that was it,  In the morning I was checking my emails and came across the BT confirmation email.... I decide to check just to make sure everything was okay, even though I spoke to someone at BT in person... and guess what! the time of the appointment was wrong, the morning appointment was booked.. so I had to get on the phone and explain that I purposely wanted the afternoon appointment which lead to them having to change the entire order again...... having to change the date and everything! grrr....... So eventually my day had arrived, everything went okay, the BT engineer was a hoot as it took us forever to find the main phone exchange in the building, and hay presto! everything working perfectly! UNTIL........ my bill arrived in the post.... OMG!! £178.56 wow.... I was on the phone in seconds to BT questioning why this had happened and quickly signed into my account to check the bill for myself, and yes BT had charged me £127.00 for moving my contract again, and I was being billed for the UNLIMITED CALL package I phone and specifically requested NOT to be as I didn't want or need it....  then I was told that I would need to pay the ENTIRE BILL and  that I would be refunded on my next bill for the mistake that BT had made????I was flabbergasted at what I was told and phoned and emailed BT back on a number of occasions (over two weeks) to explain I was unable to pay this amount, I received a phone call at 20h00 on my mobile eventually from someone at the billing department asking if I have made an attempt to pay the bill, I told them I was in dispute with the amount of the bill and my phone call was then past to a lady named Helen, I've been told, she was extremely helpful and placed me on hold while she was trying to sort something out I'm guessing with her superior? when boop boop boop, I got cut off...... As I was using my mobile and at this time it was after 21h00 I decided to phone back in the morning. Again before phoning BT I signed into my BT account online and after the phone call in the evening with BT my bill was now £220....... what is going on.... now My bill was even higher than before... again I phoned BT and at this point I felt I COULD DO NOTHING, BUT CANCEL MY ACCOUNT with BT, I was then passed over to yet another member of the "BT team" and was told to expect the final email of cancelation and final bill with a CANCELLATION FEE OF £127.00 .... IN TOTAL £350, I CAN'T AFFORD TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT...Again on the phone to BT telling them, I do not want to cancel and I will have to pay the bill and keep the account with BT...I was told this was okay to do..but I would need to pay a small amount to regain my service as at this point as ALL MY SERVICES HAVE BEEN CUT, I paid the fee and set up a direct debit with BT and was told that I would have have my be up and running in 24 hours..... I waited the 24 hours pressing the re-set button every few hours and got nothing! so phoned BT again to find out that I have only got broadband with BT and my phone line is with another supplier ...what the? how can this be?  I don't think anyone knows what is going on with my account....I SURELY DONT.... if someone.... anyone can tell me what is happening I would love to know... Oh and I'm still waiting for the manager to call me back as he was busy with another call... ( I was promised he would return my call after 14h00 it's now 21h50..... still waiting ) if someone, anyone........ at BT or not whom happens to read this could you please contact me so we can sort something out... or if someone has advice for me on how I can solve this once and for all please I'm very tired and super stressed.... please help! 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: My nightmare with BT, if only I could afford to cancel my account!!!! Please Help!

Hi very_tired

You could try using the Billing Live Chat facility (M-F 9-6) - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

(Keep a copy of the chat)

If you don't get any joy, you could try the forum mods - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

(You'd need to wait upto 72 hours for a reply)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
very_tired
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: My nightmare with BT, if only I could afford to cancel my account!!!! Please Help!

Thank you DS for your response, I'm waiting for 9am to try the billing live chat facility.... I sure hope they can help sort out this mess, 

wish me luck!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

I'm wishing!!Smiley Very Happy

Should not go a one hopes, you know where we areSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oxfordataloss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Very tired, You also have the option to ring cancellations. You can explain your predicament and explain that you will leave as a result of this missmanagement of your billing.

I was offered half price when I rang to cancel and gain my MAC code. I'm quite sure that some magic could uccur for you. The cancellations department seem very nice, I was almost sorry to decline their offer.

Should you leave them, your final bill would NOT include all this "pay up front" nonesense as they re-ralculate your owed amount as you leave them.

Good luck gaining any common sense from BT billing, I wish you the best of luck.

0 Ratings
very_tired
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Thank you DS and Oxfordataloss for your replies!

I did contact the live chat team and without fail my BT account is now more of a mess than before..... I have been issued with a new order for a phone line (not the phone number I had before) and without my consent, all I asked for was a break down of my contract, and to cancel as soon as possible, I was promised that I would receive a email from a "manager" and I'm still waiting!! 

I really think I have NO CHOICE now but to cancel the entire contract, IVE NEVER had such shocking service in all my life... I wish I never changed my contract with Virgin Media for BT as I'm so disappointed, extremely stressed and think I may seek legal action because this is now beyond a joke!!

think twice anyone wanting to join BT..... I have nothing good to say!   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@very_tired wrote:

Thank you DS and Oxfordataloss for your replies!

I did contact the live chat team and without fail my BT account is now more of a mess than before.....

Smiley SadOh, I feel partly to blame for advising you to try this...

I have been issued with a new order for a phone line (not the phone number I had before) and without my consent,

Smiley SadThis really doesn't look good

all I asked for was a break down of my contract, and to cancel as soon as possible, I was promised that I would receive a email from a "manager" and I'm still waiting!!

Smiley SadNeither does this

I really think I have NO CHOICE now but to cancel the entire contract, IVE NEVER had such shocking service in all my life... I wish I never changed my contract with Virgin Media for BT as I'm so disappointed, extremely stressed and think I may seek legal action because this is now beyond a joke!!

Dare I suggest it...Smiley Sad Give the mods a go at sorting this out, the link is above. I'm sure they can get it all set as you want it, maybe even offer some form of compo for the inconvenience

think twice anyone wanting to join BT..... I have nothing good to say!

I hope the mods can change your mind...

Should it still not go as I now hope it will, let me know and I'll give you the CEO's email address...

0 Ratings
very_tired
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

DS.... you are right! things are not looking good, I'm so cheesed with BT, seeking legal action is a laugh! I doubt i'll afford it after paying off my BT contract.., do you know if I do manage to cancel my contract will I be able to keep the original landline number if I move my service? as I've just received my business cards, letterheads and banners with the number as the only contact..... Gulp! I was totally taken by surprise that this nightmare would happen and now I'm panicking that I've spent all this money for absolutely nothing!!

and please don't feel partly to blame for offering any help, information on how to deal with this is fantastic!! Maybe you should be nominated for CEO of BT.. Thanks again!   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

I'd also be very cheesed off!!

Well, if you really want to leave, you will probably have to pay to get out, but on the rare occassion, they can let you go for free. The free route would involve higher powers....

If you move supplier, I'd have to (guess) say that no, the number would change as IIRC BT retail don't actually own the numbers (apparently theres a 'pool' of numbers).

The mods CAN (hopefully), as they've done so in the past, reinstate the original number back to you...

I'm not one to defend BT, as I too have had the odd pain in the 'ears' moment with them, but they should be able to restore your faith in BT (or maybe not). Ask for compo, you may not get anything, but if you don't ask, you don't getSmiley Wink

ME, the BT CEO! Although it sounds nice, and the pay aint bad, the hassle we (the customers) send his way, when we've nowhere else to go, no thanksSmiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Hi Very_tired,

I would like to take a look at your account to see what is going on. If you take a look at my profile you will find a link to a "contact us" form. If you fill in your details I will take a look at this for you. Please make sure to include a link to this thread.

Cheers

Paddy,

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings