Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spluff
Expert
Message 1 of 9

My pings doubled to all sites

Hi,

My ping to various websites has dobuled.

e.g, ping to bbc.co.uk 18ms to 36ms

ping to easports.com 10ms to 24ms

Yesterday we had problems with electricity and the power tripping - the router went on and off a lot of times during day.

I spoke with BT and they cant do anything? 

I mentioned could it be DLM and interleave - and he said Infinity doesnt do that?

Is this correct?

Does it sound like DLM or something has kicked in and caused my pings to double?  Will it resolve itself?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: My pings doubled to all sites

it sounds like the DLM has kicked in due to all the disconnects and has turned interleaving on all you can now do is wait and providing the line remains stable interleaving may start to reduce
0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 3 of 9

the techsupport reckons that DLM and Interleaving does not exist on BT Infinity....  Is he wrong?

How long does it take to reduce - my line is very stable for the past year and only electricty cut out has caused the router to drop so much yesterday - if it doesnt reduce on its own who can I speak to sort it out because my line is very stable.

Thanks

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@spluff wrote:

the techsupport reckons that DLM and Interleaving does not exist on BT Infinity....  Is he wrong?

How long does it take to reduce - my line is very stable for the past year and only electricty cut out has caused the router to drop so much yesterday - if it doesnt reduce on its own who can I speak to sort it out because my line is very stable.

Thanks

Yes the techsupport is wrong. DLM is an Openreach automated process that monitors the line. If it detects a problem on the line it will lower the speed in an attempt to maintain a stable connection. Once the problem has gone DLM will slowly increase the speed. This can but not necessarily does take up to two or three weeks to achieve. 

EDIT: It may be that the techsupport was saying that there is no DLM on Infinity because the ISP have no control over it where as i believe they can control DLM on ADSL broadband or it could of course be that he just had no idea.

0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 5 of 9

s there not a way to get this done quicker - it really is annoying i cannot play any online games now

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

It may improve quickly if the line is stable. It requires an engineer to over ride the automated system and Openreach won't normally do this until the system has had a chance to do its job.

Other forum members have reported that they have speeded it up by doing a homehub reset in the morning. Could be worth a try but don't do repeated resets. 

0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 7 of 9

im on homehub 5 - how do i do this and what time is best?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I don't think there is any particular time other than early in the morning when the network is not busy so perhaps before schoolkids are up and about and businesses start. There is a Power on/off button on the rear. Press that then once it has restarted carry out your speed test again.

0 Ratings
Chiefbeef
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

if you switch your router on and off a lot it will kick in the dlm , there is nothing short of a engineer visit can speed it up , it takes mine 5 days or so of stable connection to go to the next level of interleave (there are 3 on infinity)