Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OddJob
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

My speed just halved!!!

Hi All,

New HomeHub4 replaced HH2 ten days ago on new 2 year contract.  Speed was no better than HH2 at fairly consistent 13.0mbps and wireless range was similarly no better.  A couple of days ago I posted my disappointment in a previous thread and today I've been losing connection, with power light flashing orange or green after all the usual resets etc.  I assumed engineers were testing/improving my line performance.  Things eventually stabilised but now I only get 7 mbps and the speed test says my line is only capable of 8.2........funny 'cos yesterday it was capable of 14.2 and some time ago it was even higher and I used to get 15.0mbps download.  Line check says I don't have a problem.......Oh yes I do!!!!

Does anyone know what's going on......I haven't got time for all this messing about?

Nothing has changed at my end, everything has been double checked so it has to be BT. 

HELP !!!   

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: My speed just halved!!!

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

Thanks John; I'll try those links although after more flashing orange and green lights this morning it finally connected just before 11am and the speedtest showed the line back up at 14.3 with download at 12.7 & upload at 0.98.  At least it's remained stable for the last hour or so.

I'll have a look at the logs later and re-post as a matter of interest.

0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi John,

Sorry about the delay. Speed came up for a short while but after more flashing lights reverted to very poor stat's.

Here are the results.  Line test was quiet.

HomeHub4 log

11:48:49, 11 May. ( 81.850000) DSL is up

11:48:48, 11 May. ( 80.850000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 9.80 dB downstream

11:48:47, 11 May. ( 79.940000) DSL line rate: 1188 Kbps upstream, 6656 Kbps downstream

Screen shots in JPG format to follow - hope that's OK

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

are you currently using the test socket with a new filter?  all the drops in conenction have resulted in your line ending up in a banded profile.  this should release automatically but you need a stable connection 24/7 for 3/5 days which if conenction unstable will be difficult

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

BTwholesale2.jpgBTwholesale1.jpg

0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. I'll try one of my spare filters but this has only happened since the change of router. Everything else is as was and the BT tests are saying line capability of 14.2 sometimes, as it used to be, and 6 or 8 much of the time. It's got to be BT's end surely?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

it is the DLM that has done this due to disconnections /restarts of the hub or line noise causing line errors to rapidly once you can remain with a stable connection then the DLM will start to remove the banding in steps
0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks again John.  Eventually rang helpline and a very helpful young lady went through a number of checks and had me tear the house apart Smiley Frustrated....after much testing and searching she confirmed there is a fault and is arranging an engineer visit on Monday am.  I at least have regained some access and need to make the best of it.  I did wonder if perhaps the new HH4 is faulty as I noted line noise with it connected but quiet without!

I'll post back after Monday.

Regards  

Spoiler

0 Ratings