cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldie68
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

MyBT - changing username

I've just negotiated a new 12 month package with BT for phone, broadband and TV, and I must say I'm happy with the deal.

However, the letter I received states that my BTID, my username for MyBT, is my BT email address. Which it isn't. I rang BT, and was told the same - I can login to MyBT using my email address.

Many years ago, I set up a username so that I could view my bills online. This username is not an email address, but is still the username which I use to get into MyBT. Unfortunately, under the new setup, if I want to go to Email, then I have to enter my email's address and password.

I cannot login using my email address. And I don't know whether it's relevant, but I'm still on Yahoo mail (according to the BT utility, ten minutes ago). 

In addition, I actually have a different email registered with BT for correspondence. I'm not sure how that came about

It's not a serious problem, but it's a nuisance. Especially since I now use complex passwords, and if a username/password is rejected then it's possible I got the password wrong. 

So is it possible to change my username and registered correspondence address to my BT email address?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: MyBT - changing username

If you click "My profile" in MyBT (top left) you get options to edit the log in and contact details.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Your MyBT user name and password can be different fo your email username and password or conversely it can be the same, the choice is yours.

If you want to change it log onto MyBT and go to "My Profile" and you will find the option to change it to whatever you want.

If you were already set up for MyBT and were using it, the user name and password should not have changed. The letter you received will probably be a standard computer generated letter sent to all customers.

If you want to sign into your email you can do it through this link without going to MyBT.

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

but you will have to use your email address and email password.

I think you can also change your correspondence email address in "My Profile" within MyBT 

oldie68
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't actually noticed the "My Profile" tab in MyBT.

I've changed the username to my BT Primary email; I thought it would automatically ask me for, or use, my email password, but it didnt, and I had to input my 'old' password half a dozen times. So I changed the password separately.

Anyway, I got it set, and tested logging in - no problem. I'd assumed that this would mean I could just click on "Email", but no such luck - I had to log in again for that.

So I used the direct entry page suggested by gg, and that works ok.

I also changed my contact email address to my BT Primary address. 

It now means that everything - MyBT, Email, being contacted and BTFon all use the same username. 

Hopefully, nothing will change when BT change my Email platform. 

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Glad it's sorted, it means having to remember fewer details. If you use an email client such as Thunderbird you can automate your email management, logging in and downloading new messages to your computer with one click.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
oldie68
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi potyperson,

I did try Thunderbird at one stage, but I didn't like the layout particularly.

Also, it couldn't access my BT mailbox at btinternet.com at Yahoo. 

This was months ago, so maybe that's been cured.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

I've used Thunderbird with BT Yahoo! for years; no major problems, but like most programs it takes a bit of getting used to. If you want to give it another go there's some advice here; there's also some BT online help but I don't know what it's like.

--
0 Ratings
NC184
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I have been trying all day to change the username (email address) on my BT ID and keep getting an error message

"Due to some technical problem we are unable to save your contact details."

its driving me mad!! Is this a known problem with BT's website?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

There are often problems with BT web sites. Leave it and try later and it will probably work.

0 Ratings