cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Mysterious massive upload

Hi All,

Last two days (Friday and Saturday) there was mysterious massive upload done through my BT Home hub router - about 9Gb in 2 days. Knowing that it is not us, as we don't do streaming, p2p, nor uploading any photos etc, I scanned my computers immediately - no virus nor malware found. I used netstat command in command prompt to check download/upload readings for each computer and even disconnected 1 computer from internet, but the data transmitted readings showed on my BT home hub page kept increasing. But I did not see any thing was being uploaded from my computers/device.

I rang BT customer support but they were unable to provide me details on which computer/device was uploading nor they could provide which time the upload was done (we went out for a concert on Friday night, no one used computers/device between 16:00-00:00). BT customer support could not tell me which IP the upload was addressed to.

Meanwhile I found plenty of OUT block entries in my router's event log:
Datetime OUT: BLOCK [7] ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 1 XX.XXX.XX.XXX-​>XXX.XXX.XXX.XX on ppp3)

I decided to restart my router, after that the router data transmitted readings is back to normal, I guess the upload had been stopped. But until I restarted the router at around 5pm Saturday, my router had already uploaded another about 4Gb data. I don't have Fri-Sat event logs anymore after restart, else I could investigate those IPs further.

Has anyone ever seen this situation before? Thanks for reading.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Mysterious massive upload

Cloud backup service perhaps?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for reply. We don't use cloud. Since we do not like taking photo, we don't have any cloud accounts except dropbox, and the last time we used dropbox was last year.

BTW, when I was typing the first post, I noticed the data transmitted reading was increasing abnormally like yesterday, I did another restart of router to stop it.

It is frustrating as I have to monitor it very frequently now 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

All you can do is to disconnect all devices, make sure the upload stops, then connect each device, one at a time, to identify which device is causing it.

Make sure you do not have any loopbacks, which can be caused by powerline adapters.

If its your PC causing it, then you will need to run a tool like Process Explorer

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Assuming its a Windows PC. This will identify any processes which are using network resources.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried it but I do not see any process uploading anything, the data transmitted readings still increasing - not that fast anymore but with just 1 device connecting to it to check home hub webpage, the rate that it increases is still abnormal (from 113.9Mb - 114.2Mb) within 5 mins. To further describe the situation, at the moment I am using a tablet to connect to home hub webpage to check data transmitted readings every 5 minutes, the table's wireless is switched off after each check. I am using a laptop connecting to internet, posting here with mobile broadband. No other device is connecting to the router now
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

There is always a certain amount of background data used by the hub itself. Have you also checked to see if anyone is connected to your BT Wifi hotspot, if you are opted in?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

might be worth changing your wireless password too, i was once hacked and someone ran up 35gb of downloads turned out my neighbour was a wiz at nicking peoples wifi passwords and using their connection. far fetched but it eliminates a possibility

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Thanks both. I have checked that there is no "stranger" devices connecting to my router, and I have changed the wireless password upon the advice of the BT customer service personnel when I rang them. I can understand if it was someone hacking into my wireless and downloading at will, but when there were 9GB uploaded in 2 days, less than 1GB downloaded at the same period, which is pretty weird.
0 Ratings