Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

NEW INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

Hi, 

I have left Virgin Media to join BT and an engineer came out on Wednesday to install the BT line.  Unfortunately he was unable to locate the old master socket which we can only presume has been plastered over in the past.  The engineer advised that the cables come straight in underground and up through the cavity of the wall but he couldn't pinpoint where they would be.   

Basically we are at a standstill and the engineer advised that the onus is on us to produce a black cable from somewhere in the wall.   Has anyone ever experienced this before?  Surely there must be some way to get BT back in the house (hopefully without digging up outside to find a cable going into the house). 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: NEW INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

They need to send someone out with a cat and genny........ That's a cable locating tool, quite handy.......
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Or an internal tone set
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks.  Once the engineer left on Wednesday I had a call from a customer care advisor saying she would send a "track and locate engineer" out today and he would find the wires.    Fast forward to today and the engineer called on my mobile and asked if we had found the wire.  When I explained to him about the track and locate he said BT openreach could't do this and I had been told incorrect information.   He said his manager had told him not to come out and to close my installation case and it was definitely up to me to produce the wires. 

I then spent most of this afternoon on the phone to BT but wasn;t getting anywhere and they wouldn't put me through to the girl I spoke to on Wednesday.   They just kept asking if I had now located the wire!  Feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall.   Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.   Hopefully i'll get somewhere with them! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Hi, 

Could a moderator please provide me with a contact link please to see if they are able to help. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

its sounds like your on an old buried estate, this is where the cable where run into the houses when they where being built and usually terminate on a wall plate just above skirting ( common location for these is in the hall or under the stairs )now it is not unusual for these to be covered over, if this happens and there's no way of finding it, Openreach will just run a new underground duct and cable to the wall of your house and fit a new external box ( BT66 ) a bit like what Virgin do, then just run a new cable into the location of your new nte5 ( master socket )

As you might expect this is quite a lot of work and can take some time, so if the original cable can be found it will make it a lot easier... do you know any of your neighbours well, as you could pop into there house and see where there BT cable comes up?

if not Openreach will just have to go for the new duct option.... hope this helps.... p.s you'll have more luck if they send a proper Openreach engineer and not a contractor, as they get paid per job and will not spent time trying to sort this out.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Hi MrsMckenna,

Welcome to the community forum. I'll be able to take a look at your order. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Perhaps you could ask a nieghbour with the same style of property as yours where their line appears inside their house, it's a reasonable bet that your hidden/plastered over service will be in a similar position your house, you then have the issue of exposing the service which may require you to make holes in your internal wall , OR are not going to do this and be responsible for the reinstatement of your decoration
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks everyone. My neighbour has a slightly different style house but I know where their box is based. My husband ripped the skirting off there but nothing at all to be seen so if it was there has been covered. Obviously husband is not keen to start putting holes in the wall when we don't even know for sure anything is there. I've messaged the mods and hopefully they can offer some assistance. Thanks for everyone's replies, very much appreciated.
0 Ratings