Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1 of 8

NTE5C master socket - connecting slaves

Go to solution

I'm not sure if this post is in the correct part of the forum, if not apologies and perhaps a mod could move it.

I have been looking at having my current NTE5 replaced with the new NTE5C master socket.  Whilst it all seems pretty straightforward I was puzzling over how the cables for the slave sockets will be brought to the IDC connectors.

The cable presently comes through the rear of the backplate and simple connects to the IDC pins - no issue.  However, I have noticed with the new NTE5C that the cables for any extenstions are designed to come in at the side or bottom of the socket front plate, presumably for surface mounting.  (a) that wouldn't look particularly attractive and (b) there isnt sufficent spare cable, plus we already have a hole drillied through the external brickwork where the cable for the slave enters the rear of the present NTE5.

Am I missing something, is there an easy remedy?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: NTE5C master socket - connecting slaves

Go to solution
I've installed dozens of NTE5c's are connected extension wiring from the back of it. You just insert them into the new press down IDC and push the excess cable into the back through the hole.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the info Bob. The query arises from watching a well known YouTube contributer. It wasn't clear as the IDC's are now at the front, if the wires are brought through the backplate whether they might get trapped when the faceplate is re-attached.
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

No, they don't get trapped and that youtuber is a **bleep**. How the **bleep** it takes someone 20 minutes to explain how to stick two wires into two holes and push down is beyond me?!?!?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Your reply made me smile, though you are correct.  TBH I had to rewind part of the video as I fell asleep through boredom. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

One more thing I picked up on with those Youtube videos is the mention that if you use a filtered faceplate e.g. the OR Mk3 is that you then must connect your router to the MS in order to use your broadband. 

This is not correct as you can use the A and B IDC pins on the front upper portion of the faceplate with wires from a slave socket and turn the slave into a dsl point.

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Only a MK4 SSFP will fit the 5c. Its the same as the MK3, just it's obviously shaped to fit the 5c.

If you plan on fitting a Data Extension for your broadband then you would connect the pair to the IDC push down on the MK4 SSFP.

If you are just using the 5c with the standard faceplate then you just connect your extensions are normal to the push down IDC connnector on the 5c back plate.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hello Bob,

Yes thanks for the additional info.  I am already using the additional A&B pins on the front of the Mk3 faceplate to provide a dedicated data socket (previously phone) in my study.  

My friend, whose friend works for a well know telecoms provider has said he will source this updated product for me.  Obviously I won't be fitting it myself. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings