Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 130

Re: NTP synchronisation Failure HHB5B

@john46 wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

@hilltophouse wrote:
Only one thing left to do. Telegraph money! Oher ideas. Email the CEO of BT. Tweet and post on FB. #it'sgoodtotalk BT fails parents and children for days without parental controls for the sake of fixing a clock.
They are not listening to us or the moderators. They are not even bothering to keep us updated. They only care if we go public.

Do you really think BTWholesale don't care about this issue? They know there's a problem, it is obviously bigger than anyone expected and is taking time to resolve.

Do you really think server issues can be resolved with the wave of a magic wand?

See my post above which you may find an even better option than relying on ISP carp. You'll never have an issue with that app!

Why does everybody expect ISP's to wetnurse them and have no problems???

@pippincp

Well said the problem does not appear to be affecting all hub users I have had a phone round  to a few hub 4, 5 & 6 all who are having no NTP problems of any kind 

Actuallly since I used to set up Linux servers for a living and an NTP server is trivial, pretty much I do expect it to be an easy fix especially when the addresses are not pinging, even a DNS forwarding change could be implented to forward all requests to one of the big NTP services which would filter through the system inside of 24 hours for everyone.

You know, I happen to be rather traditional, when I'm sold an item or a service, I expect the aforementioned working in it's entirely.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 82 of 130

I have an idea the server is not where the problem lies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 83 of 130

Probably not, but whatever the cause, it shouldn't take this long to fix.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 84 of 130

What baffles me more than anything is that there isn't a simple manual time option in the router's settings... surely it has to be assumed that at some point the remote timeserver might play up, and having a manual override just seems blindingly obvious.  There was on the old Netgear I used to use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 130

Morning all.

Another update for you...

I've haf a reply to the email i sent to the CEO....came from a Newcastle based technical support team saying that they are looking into the hub problem and will come back to me.... won't hold my breath!

Moderators can you update us re the current progress??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 86 of 130

@pippincp wrote:

@hilltophouse wrote:
Only one thing left to do. Telegraph money! Oher ideas. Email the CEO of BT. Tweet and post on FB. #it'sgoodtotalk BT fails parents and children for days without parental controls for the sake of fixing a clock.
They are not listening to us or the moderators. They are not even bothering to keep us updated. They only care if we go public.

Do you really think BTWholesale don't care about this issue? They know there's a problem, it is obviously bigger than anyone expected and is taking time to resolve.

Do you really think server issues can be resolved with the wave of a magic wand?

See my post above which you may find an even better option than relying on ISP carp. You'll never have an issue with that app!

Why does everybody expect ISP's to wetnurse them and have no problems???

Wow, took this long for the BT fanboys to get into full swing. We are assuming that the relevant BT engineering team have a ticket open on this and are actively pursuing a resolution. It may be a bigger problem, but as a client I should reasonably expect to be kept informed of activity and an eta to fix; my clients do of me. We never 'wave the magic wand', we use a more of an up and down kind of stroke, I find it helps the pixie dust get a better distribution over the server.

As for expecting ISP's to wetnurse me, eeeugghh doesn't sound very nice and I wouldn't trust them with the job; however it's not beyond the wit of man to expect them to provide the services that they advertise and when the can't explain why not and for how long. I don't think that is wetnursing, I think it is service delivery.

Gavin, should be on the job now though so I'm sure everything will be simply tickety boo in 2 shakes of a leprachaun's tassles. Please let's not start blaming parents for wanting a product they've bought to do the job it advertises.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 87 of 130

I'm far from being a BT fanboy, actually quite the opposite.

Did you look at the free app I linked to that will give you back total control over all devices?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 88 of 130

Pippincp, it was intended as tongue in cheek, I know that there are a lot of really great people on these forums and please don't take offence at my comments.

As i posted earlier, I've got 3 lads each with the full array of iPod, iPhone, iPad, gaming PC, MacBook, Raspberry Pi, etc. I've been using the Circle device which whereas it costs £99 it has been a god send. I don't use any ISP access controls, I run my own firewalls, mail servers, etc, but I've been in IT for over 30 years. I feel for the parents who don't have the luxury of working in the industry and have to rely on the ISP's to deliver on their service promises.

This isn't affecting everyone, but it's still not working and is indicative of the way BT seems to be running things. I'm sure that as more people's hubs do the whole daily/weekly fall over and reboot thing that they will lose the current time. But hey, teaching BT about good Service Delivery or Service Management is like teaching a snake to juggle (nigh impossible but would be great to achieve). 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 89 of 130

No offence taken.Smiley Wink

I posted the liink to K9 to enable those still suffering to be able to regain the controls they've lost. Yes it needs installing on each device but once done you can forget it.

There's more to this fault than meets the eye and I doubt we'll ever find out what it was.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 90 of 130

@pippincp wrote:

There's more to this fault than meets the eye and I doubt we'll ever find out what it was.

It not be rocket sience.

ping ntp.homehub.btopenworld.com

and there is no response, since the server is DNS based it could be redirected to uk.pool.ntp.org which has 168 servers and plenty of capacity, the homehub updates every so often (24 hours or hardware reset I believe) so the problem would be solved in a day, until they could get their act together and sort their own system out. This is a "fault" with management, back up planning, communication between parts of the company, not a complex engineering problem. The longer this goes on the more people are going to have access drop from the net as their hub's reboot or find a new address and the problem's going to go up exponentially causing more waste of man hours answering support queries.

If another poster is correct and the business side of the NTP pool is working, then BT could even redirect their DNS to those servers, there's even time.google.com though I'm unsure of the homehub's ability to shift to UK hours and summer time so I'd keep in the UK.

0 Ratings