cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dblox
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Name change on account

I am separated from my wife and wish to transfer the BT contract for phone / broadband into her name. The current Line Rental Saver (in my name) expires on 02/02/15. All bills are currently paid by my wife and this switch is with her full agreement. It is VITAL that the service is not disrupted and that the existing number is retained. This has to be painless, seamless and EASY.
What should we do?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Name change on account

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

I don`t think that is possible, as BT do not allow the account name to be changed, except if someone dies.

You would have to cancel your existing contract, and your wife would have to take out a new contract in her name.

The alternative would be to transfer your phone and broadband to you new address, using the home movers process.

You wife would then have to apply for service as a new customer.

If you would like to try Live Chat they may be able to help you.

0 Ratings
Dblox
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

OK - but she HAS to be sure that she retains the current phone number.
I need definite confirmation that that is possible and exactly how to achieve it.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

did you try live chat as suggested

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dblox
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Yes, I sure did. Surprisingly it doesn't work on my iPhone
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 7

Hi Dblox,

I would recommend your wife contacts us and requests to take over the line. She will be a new customer to us so a credit check and an new contract will be required. When doing the order she will need to specify to retain the telephone number.

Taking over the line will cancel any existing contracts or discounts you have. If you are still in contract there will be early termination charges on the final bill so you may wish to leave it until these contracts are finished before placing any orders.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Dblox
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks - sounds like a sensible approach. Will give it a try.
0 Ratings