Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robhoney
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Napster problems now that I have BT Infinity

Hello,

Only had BT Infinity installed yesterday. Everything is nice and fast....except Napster.

I can listen to a song or two if I'm lucky then it just keeps trying to connect or buffer. Five minutes or so go by and then the next song will play for a bit and then it will happen all over again. The pattern it follows makes me doubt it is a problem with the Napster service itself, as the first song seems to play through seamlessly.

I've tried to connect to Napster via a web interface and the Windows program, no difference. I am connecting to the HH3 wirelessly, but had no connection problems and no power saving is set up on the HH3.

Any advice appreciated!

Rob H

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Napster problems now that I have BT Infinity

In my experience Napster are extremely flaky indeed they were so bad I have dumped them. If other sites are loading successfully it is likely them not your connection.

If you are not sure you can easily test the connection by running the BT Speedtest www.speedtest.bt.com which will show your connection speed and IP profile. You can also test the latency by running a ping test at pingtest.com you should get a figure of under 20ms.

If your speeds are slow repeat but use a cable to the router rather than wireless as the problem could be your wireless signal..

0 Ratings
ekewebb
Message 3 of 8

My Napster connection has gone mad also. I haven't changed my BT package, it just suddenly started to go intermittently slowly sometime between May 25th and June 2nd. I'm on Napster-to-go which means I download the files to my computer and it's following a very predictable pattern. First song in an album downloads normally, second song extremely slowly and third song not at all. The second song eventually craps out and then nothing. Turning my computer off and restarting Napster means the second song now in my download queue goes through at normal speed and nothing else.

I've been in contact with Napster about it but I also think it's not them but something to do with my hub. I'm deeply suspicious that a Spotify upgrade has caused this but have no evidence to base that on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jaywright
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

i have had almost unusably slow connection to Napster for the last week, tested on two machines on my bt connection. all other web services seem ok and connection speed is testing ok. napster from friends non bt broadband is working fine

is this a BT issue with Napster?

0 Ratings
robhoney
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the replies/help, sorry for delay in replying, I have been away.

I did the speed test, all seems fine and what I would expect.

However the ping test was giving me response times of 160ms, both wirelessly and wired - no difference. I tried other sites too and was getting the same sort of responses. As I type this seems to have come down to around 100ms.

So it seems it isn't Napster per se...

** update - seems to be a bit of a red herring - getting much more reasonable ping times from command line and http://www.speedtest.net/

Rob H

0 Ratings
robhoney
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help on this from someone at BT - I have spoken to support (the only thing they did was get me to reset the router/homehub) and am waiting on a call back which doesn't seem to be going to materialize. To be honest, I was unable to communicate my problem to them properly in a way that they understood.

A couple of other people seem to have the problem with BT Infinity too:

http://bbs.gb.napster.com/doc/showthread.php?t=1230&page=3

(I can't register on that forum though it seems)

The day before I had BT Infinity - everything was ok - the day I had BT Infinity installed and ever since it has not worked properly (Napster that is). For what it is worht - Spotify for example is fine.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Ratings
ekewebb
Message 7 of 8

I can't register there either. Weird forum that doen't allow non-members to post and doesn't allow new members to register... But I digress.

I spoke to a technical support person on Friday who ran me through the hoops of clearing caches and executing a couple of standard utilities before she spoke to a "level three" ( I think she said) technical support person who admitted it was a known problem that they are working on. When I pushed her on how I would know when it was fixed or should I just keep on trying she advised that a communication will be sent to all subscribers when the problem is resolved.

Oh. and she gave me a free month on my subscription. Which is just about right as it's been unusable for a fortnight now with no end in sight.

0 Ratings
sicknote00
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

speedtest.net is a better bet 😉
Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
0 Ratings