Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Need a static IP address

Go to solution

Hello

I work at home, writing computer games for PC and Mac.  I want to expand out to Playstation 4/Vita but Sony registration requires that I have a static IP address to access their developer network.

I don't use the phone for work purposes - we're on some package that includes free anytime calls (have wife and mother-in-law who can talk for England, so it makes sense) as well as unlimited ASDL broadband.

Is it correct that there are only two ways I can get a static IP address?

1. Pay more for Business Broadband (and in doing this I assume I'll end up paying tons for calls as well)

2. Ditch BT and go to Plusnet

Option 2 is looking to be the best option right now.  Unless there's some way I can switch to Business Broadband and leave the call package as it is?

Thanks.

Dave

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Need a static IP address

Go to solution

There is no other option if you must have a static IP address for security reasons. BT residential broadband do not offer static IP addresses.

For most users of BT Broadband, a DDNS service is all that is needed, if they need to host services on their network.

Have you looked at the BT Business packages?

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/broadband/

The phone part of the service, is normally treated separately.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

So, I can switch to Bt Business Broadband and leave the phone etc as it is?

Didn't know that - thought there'd be some daft rule.

Thanks for the info.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@desktopgaming wrote:

So, I can switch to Bt Business Broadband and leave the phone etc as it is?

Didn't know that - thought there'd be some daft rule.

Thanks for the info.

Not sure, but I seem to recall a similar situation being mentioned on the forum before. I would make certain before you commit to anything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I put this question to a moderator a while back, and this was the reply.

Re Business Broadband on a residential line.

"

Hi Keith,

I wasn't entirely sure so I had a word with a member of the business sales team and they have confirmed that you can have business broadband on a residential line.

What they did say, was if customers decided to do that they'd need to look at their care option.  As you're probably already aware, all residential customers are put on "standard care" which has the three working day repair lead time.  If they go for business broadband, they'd need to sign up for priority care or total care to speed up the PSTN repair if any faults do occur."

0 Ratings