cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Need help my 2 Ghz suddenly slowed to 0.79 down but up speed remains the same why ?

Go to solution

Hi All

I Need help with my 2 GHz band which has suddenly slowed to 0.79 down but the up speed remains the same why?

This started doing this over the last few weeks turning off the Hub/router did use to sort this out and full-speed 50Mbps would be back again but now it will not restore to full speed, I split the two bands and can connect to the 5Ghz at full speed but checking the 2Ghz speed and its still slow, I did a factory reset but no difference.

I replaced the Hub/router (smart hub 6 type A) (as I assumed it was faulty) with a spare smart hub 6 type A and it's still the same so I assume its not the routers fault, The hub/router position hasn't changed and until this started I had full speed everywhere in my house so the router is in the correct place to allow max speed in the house, no new walls have gone in the house, I have done a test to check what the best channels to use and tried changing them to what the app said and it's still the same.

Please help

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Need help my 2 Ghz suddenly slowed to 0.79 down but up speed remains the same why ?

Go to solution
Its possible its the Wi-fi card on the device , or congestion on the 2.4GHz channels, if you look at the WiFi using an Android app like Wi-Fi Analyser look for the less congested range.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Need help my 2 Ghz suddenly slowed to 0.79 down but up speed remains the same why ?

Go to solution

Are you able to check your speeds using more than one device. This would help to determine if it is a problem with your wireless signal or the device that you are using.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Injr02

I did state in my question that  "I have done a test to check what the best channels to use and tried changing them to what the app said and it's still the same." so no that didn't help with sorting the problem anything else you can think of, please
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi gg30340

Yes I checked with 2 tablets and 2 phones and a laptop and the speed is the same on all of them even if I am on top of the hub or as far away as I can get in the house

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Have you tried a different speed tester? Presumably you have noticed that the speed has actually dropped and that it is not just a false reading on the speed tester?

Does this happen all the time or only at specific times?

Have you introduced any new electrical devices into your home? 

Have you tried turning off electrical equipment to see if something has possible developed a fault that it is causing interference? Central Heating boilers are usually good at doing that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi gg30340

Answers in Blue below

Have you tried a different speed tester? Presumably, you have noticed that the speed has actually dropped and that it is not just a false reading on the speed tester?

Yes I did try two different ones and they were the same, the real reason I noticed how slow was I couldn't watch any youtube videos higher then 144p normally I can watch at 1080p

Does this happen all the time or only at specific times?

All the time

Have you introduced any new electrical devices into your home? 

Nothing new has been added and this problem has got gradually worse over the last 6 weeks or so

Have you tried turning off electrical equipment to see if something has possibly developed a fault that it is causing interference? Central Heating boilers are usually good at doing that.

Apart from the boiler and fridges, there is nothing else  turned on all the time that I can turn off                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I can turn off  so no help there

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

To summarise,

You have poor wireless down speed on the 2.4GHz frequency on all your wireless devices. It is noticeable when streaming and general use. It happens all the time and is not time specific. It has been going on for about six weeks.

You have tried:-

A different speed tester. All show the same result.

Swapping out the Smarthub with another Smarthub. Same problem.

There are no new electrical items introduced into the house.

There are no electrical items in the house that are on 24/7 that could be causing the problem 24/7 other than fridge and boiler. Presumably you have now tried turning them off in order to test?

I would initially have said it would possibly be a Smarthub problem but unless you have two faulty hubs that now seems unlikely.

Do you have any powerline adaptors or wireless access points?

Have you noticed any new available connections when you scan for wireless networks?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

When you swapped out the hubs  did you swap out the PSUs as well or keep the same PSU and just swapped power lead over.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Guys I am sorry it has been so long since I posted this problem and I haven't updated you.

Well here is where I am, I had to disconnect my wireless CCTV as I had to move the DVR to a new location and didn't do it right away, then I noticed that my speed was back to normal, putting two and two together it must be the CCTV causing the problem, after switching it back on my speed was down again so it seems the cams was grabbing all they could and slowing me down, so after looking into it I gave up and hard wired the cams and that has cured the problem, I still have no idea why it was and the company I got them from were no help as to why it did that.

Thanks again for trying to help me

0 Ratings