cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 39

Need line/profile reset

Hello everyone...back here for the first time in many a year.

I have BT infinity (up to 80 meg), although due to my rural location ( a long lane, about 5 poles), I've always got around 21 meg.....rock solid for about 8 years.

At the start of December 2016, I developed a fault on the line (both broadband and phone were intermittent). Openreach replaced the entire dropline as it had rubbed against a tree and, presumably, rubbed the insulation off..

I knew speeds would be down due to the over-conservative algorithm that BT use for DLM, but I thought after a couple of months of uninterupted connection, DLM would rectify itself.. (speed went 12, 14 and has peaked at 16).

I was on the phone with BT today as I am out of contract and was thinking of going to a (much) cheaper provider. However during the conversation  to the bt sales dude, he mentioned 16 meg was all I would ever get, as that was all my line was capable of...I told him to check his records, pre December, and he agreed that I had been getting 21 meg, for many years.

He suggested sending an engineer, as it must be a fault, however, I declined as I know my "new" line is pretty good and they would only have charged me..I told him the DLM had limited me due to the fault, and that I neede a profile reset and to allow it to "train"...I might as well have spoken Klingon, with a Romulan accent..

I've forgotten how it works here...do I now wait until a mod contacts me, for a line reset?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Need line/profile reset

Moderators and Customer Services can not do a line reset on Infinity. It can only be requested by an engineer and only then if a fault has been identified and fixed.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 39

engineer reset mine today and i had no fault except congestion ?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 39

So what am I to do?...there isn't a fault...it's just DLM has branded me in fixed profile...When I used to come on these forums, I had a line reset before....

Explain to me how I go about it...report it to an engineer, which will cost me as nothing is wrong...ask him nicely to do a line reset?

No...I prefer to wait until a mod contacts me, as they will see from my line history, that I've always , previously had 21meg....therefore, they can request an engineer, to fix the fault (DLM)....don't know...I've 14 days to cancel new contract from midnight...sick of their shennanigans..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 39

Shamus1

You said you had your master socket moved (which you may be billed for) so it will probably have been logged as a fault hence the reset.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

@strontium90 wrote:

So what am I to do?...there isn't a fault...it's just DLM has branded me in fixed profile...When I used to come on these forums, I had a line reset before....

Explain to me how I go about it...report it to an engineer, which will cost me as nothing is wrong...ask him nicely to do a line reset?

No...I prefer to wait until a mod contacts me, as they will see from my line history, that I've always , previously had 21meg....therefore, they can request an engineer, to fix the fault (DLM)....don't know...I've 14 days to cancel new contract from midnight...sick of their shennanigans..

You were on ADSL previously which could be reset by Customer Services. 

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 39

Isn't it possible to ask a mod, to ask an engineer to reset my line, as it's historically been of a higher speed...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

Openreach will not send out an engineer just for a DLM reset.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 39

How do I go about getting one then?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

You don't. You need to wait until DLM increases the speed to the best speed that a stable line can support. This can take many weeks to happen. 

0 Ratings