cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chessman
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Need software to monitor my connection please

Hi, I recently switched from Plusnet fibre to BT Infinity. I was getting connection problems with Plusnet which all pointed to a hardware/line fault. I gave up with Plusnet sorting it and so switched to BT.
Now the same problem is reoccurring and is getting worse. Internet is repeatedly dropping out maybe 20+ times a day on all devices. This is a line fault.
I have spoken to BT customer service and the obligatory Indian on the other end just tests the line telling me all is fine and gets me to reset the router.
Of course it's fine... the problem is sporadic so looks great between the dropouts. **bleep**.
I really need to run some software on the PC which will constantly monitor the broadband connection 24/7 sending packets back and forth so it can record and time stamp each drop in connection. This way I have some proof to show BT so they stop fobbing me off.
Does anyone know of such a program I can run???

Many thanks in advance.

D
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Need software to monitor my connection please

No need for that, all the information will be in the HH log.

0 Ratings
AnnaM60
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

What is HH log?
I'd like software that does this too
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

HH log is the administration log that is on your Homehub. You access it by logging onto your Homehub and going to Troubleshooting > Event Log.

0 Ratings
Chessman
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I just don't trust anything logged in the router as I assume this is the same info the customer service team have access to. They say all's just peachy fine.
I have just found and purchased a program called Net Uptime Monitor and I'm running it on a laptop which is hardwired to the router so they can't blame my wifi signal. Let's see.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Chessman wrote:
I just don't trust anything logged in the router as I assume this is the same info the customer service team have access to. They say all's just peachy fine.

Compare the two and let us know how your conspiracy theory holds up.

0 Ratings
Chessman
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Will do 🐵
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

I should have said, as far as I am aware Customer Services don't have access to the HH log unless you give it to them.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Chessman wrote:
I have just found and purchased a program called Net Uptime Monitor and I'm running it on a laptop which is hardwired to the router so they can't blame my wifi signal. Let's see.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

You will get better information from the Home Hub logs, anything on your PC won't give you any information about what is happening at the PPP layer or DSL layer. Anything logged by the router will be accurate.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings