cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Need some help/info from a mod

I live in a newbuild area of Basingstoke, Hampshire (RG24) and have not been able to get infinity since I moved in over 2 years ago. However recently I have learnt that houses the next street down, CAN get infinity - yet they are much further away from the exchange. I saw a BT man working in a cabinet just around the corner to my house so I enquired if Infinity was to be made available in the area soon. The engineer said that all the cabinets in the area had already been fibre enabled and he could see no reason why I couldnt get it - so advised I phoned BT. I have phoned BT but they cannot tell me anything except I cannot get it.

Could someone please help me and let me know when/if Infinity is coming to my area, and if not just a reason why would be great. I am getting sub 2mb on a GOOD day, some days I struggle to get 1mb which in a newbuild area I struggle to understand why?!

I hope that BT have not forgotten our area 🙂 - Basingstoke RG249GH

I would really appreciate any feedback information at all.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Need some help/info from a mod

as you know this is a public forum and for security please remove your phone number

what does it say if you enter your phone number  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017&s_cid=con_FURL_...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

possible reasons are in post by KerryG at the start of this infinity board

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

On the BT Wholesale Post Code checker here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcodeoutput

I get...

For Postcode RG24 9GH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40 Mbps and upstream line speed of 20 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

that's post code which covers a wider area whereas you need to enter your phone number for a specific check

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

possible reasons are in post by KerryG at the start of this infinity board

• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.

Quite possibly yes, but I would like to know for sure, the cabinet is about 25 metres straight line from my house

• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.

It is a new build area, so I would doubt BT put new cabinets in that are not suitable for fibre?

• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.

These are brand new cabinets that have had planning permission, again I doubt BT would install brand new cabling and cabinets that are not fit for fibre?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Yes i understand that the Post Code covers a wider area, but the Post Code is covered by 2 Cabinets PCP95 and PCP97 that are both apparently fibre enabled.

If I do a Telephone check I get the following:

"For Telephone Number 01256****** on Exchange BASINGSTOKE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest."

So therefore, what reasons are there for it not being available to me (other than line distance).

And if it is a line distance thing, I heard there is a "mid-way" option (Option 3 over Fibre?) But after phoning BT this option is not available either.

I'd just like to know the reasons... Why? When everything appears to be in place?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

David,

Did you get my PM?

I had the same issue and the solution was that BT Wholesale did not update the checker DB to include my phone number

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

@theanstees wrote:

Yes i understand that the Post Code covers a wider area, but the Post Code is covered by 2 Cabinets PCP95 and PCP97 that are both apparently fibre enabled.

If I do a Telephone check I get the following:

"For Telephone Number 01256****** on Exchange BASINGSTOKE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Thank you for your interest."

So therefore, what reasons are there for it not being available to me (other than line distance).

And if it is a line distance thing, I heard there is a "mid-way" option (Option 3 over Fibre?) But after phoning BT this option is not available either.

I'd just like to know the reasons... Why? When everything appears to be in place?

Do they have one of these (there are slightly smaller ones) fibre cabinets in close proximity to each of the original green street cabinets.

If not, then no fibre.

4218894050_c837a1bdc5.jpg

You ask what reasons. Your cabinet does not have a Fibre cabinet next to it .

So first thing to check is if it has a new cabinet in very near proximity. IT MUST have to receive Infinity.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings