cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amckinnon99
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Need telephone point moved

Due to being in a wheelchair I need to get my socket moved as its currently in the kitchen and I cant reach it.  I really need it to be in the livingroom but when I spoke to india they said it would be £130 which is excessive when Im on benefits.  A friend of mine who was in the same situation as me had his socket moved free of charge

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
duncan10
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Need telephone point moved

In certain personal circumstances the local council or the association of handi-capped people and other welfare organisation can pay for it. In times gone bye I said it was done by BT and the unions while still part of the government and I was told as BT is now a private company with share holders this is no longer the case. Get onto your local social work dept. and speak to them.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

An electrician or ex bt guy will be able to run an extension to where you need it. No need to have the socket moved. Much cheaper than getting openreach to do it.

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 4 of 10

As Deathtrap says your better off getting someone to run an extension rather than getting the master socket moved.

0 Ratings
amckinnon99
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

I thought BT had a disability charter that delt with these things. That's how my friend had his done 6 months ago
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

This page may help.

Extra help with BT services

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Keith that BT link still says the sub -via the local council pays for the line and work. THats what I told the sub to do -contact their local council/social services as it is them that makes that decision. But as said you get "priority" treatment. So at the end of the day its up to the local authorities. BT still wont be doing it "for nothing"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I remember back in the late 1960s (GPO), during my apprenticeship doing Subs and Lines, helping the lineman with those sort of jobs, but privatisation put an end to that.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 9 of 10

There,s only a few years between us starting. I started early 70,s  Instalation then subs apps + line we must have  the same training  and memories. I was heavily criticised for saying we did the lot from exchange to sub, calling it the "bad" old days. But it wasnt bad for me I liked meeting and talking to people and seeing different places rather than stuck in the one place. And you could all meet in the canteen   or if you were in the country in the small local exchange for something to eat. From a 2 room flat in town to a castle in the country you saw all of life.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

This is getting off topic, so just to conclude, I started in 1968 and finished in 2010, and yes, its been quite an education, and too much to talk about here, so its best left at that.

For amckinnon99, a cheaper alternative would be a DECT basestation/phone, provided there is power near the existing master socket.

0 Ratings