cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TokyoMag
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Need to Reset IP. Quick Question.

Hi. I have searched this forum for topics about resetting my IP. There were BT Open Reach vans at the bottom of my street at the end of last week, and ever since then, my IP Profile has been getting worse and worse. This is what it currently is:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

Obviously, this is abysmal. I looked at topics that talked about resetting my IP Profile, but am unsure about what to do. Some people recommended leaving on the router for 3-5 days constantly, and that it will reset automatically. Is this the case? Is there anything else that needs to be done before I leave it on constantly (like phone up a number for them to initiate something)? Is it really just as basic as leaving my router on, without changing any settings/phoning up someone? Thanks.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Need to Reset IP. Quick Question.

it should reset automatically if left connected 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner

can I suggest you post the adsl stats from your router to show connection speed and time + other information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

Hi yes it is that simple just leave the router powered up 24/7 with no restarts and after 3-5days your profile should reset automatically
TokyoMag
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Thanks for the quick answers. From my router:

TypeInterleave Path   
   StatusSHOWTIME   

DownstreamUpstream

Data rate(Kbps)
287Kb888Kb

Noise Margin

Output power(dBm)

Attenuation(dB)

My internet connection is terrible at the moment, though. That is probably what caused this issue in the first place. My internet is constantly disconnecting. Even when nobody is using the phones, two of the phones upstairs will occasionally make a 'beep' noise twice, which wiill cause the broadband to disconnect. Ive tried new filters, used the test socket, and connected straight into the master socket, yet none of it makes a difference. This is the issue here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Phone-making-noise-when-not-in-use/td-p/493765

With these constant disconnections, I guess nothing can be done for the IP Profile, right?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

you could try double filtering the phones connecting two filters in series that may stop the disconnections
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

your profile will never recover unless you can stop the disconnections.  your connection speed is really low and profile is probably correct for your low speed.

can you connect to the test socket and post your stats again

did you remove the bellwire from terminal 3 in all the sockets as per the link from DS in your other post?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

if connecting to the test socket for a few days will cause you a problem then can you connect a filter to the test socket then connect the router to this filter and also connect a second  filter to the phone socket of the first filter.  then connect the loose faceplate to the phone socket of the second filter

this will give the router without any noise problems from the internal wiring whilst still keeping all your phones workin

0 Ratings
TokyoMag
Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Thanks for the replies. I will firstly remove the bellwire, as suggested just now in the other topic. Tomorrow I will post results from the test socket, too.

0 Ratings
TokyoMag
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

The double filtering and using the test socket seems to work. The phones upstairs still make the beeping, but it now doesnt disconnect the internet.

My modem has been constantly on for around 9 hours now. Should I see gradual changes in my IP Profile?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

the profile will not change gradually but should change as your connection speed chnages - profile is on new system and is 88.2% of connection speed

have your router stats changed from before when connection speed was 287?  if not then your profile won't change until the connection speed changes

if stats have changed can you post the new set   if still the same then you need to stay connected 24/7 for 3+ days then come back and post the stats showing the 3+ days connection then you can ask the mods to reset your noise margin which will increase your conection speed