cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 31 of 50

Re: Need to be able to upload folders on bt cloud!

Go to solution

why not create a ZIP file with all your files in it.

I am still having problems figuring out how BT Cloud works, or is even supposed to work. I use the Mac app. and it seems to copy uploads to my local bt synch folder, or else I click on BT CLOUD SYNCH in the app and it shows every thing, I can drag and drop files here but no indication of which device I uploaded it from ?

The folder under my devices for the device remains empty no matter what ! Confused, I think BT are trying to discourage people from actually using it (at least on desktop) if you ask me, or maybe that's giving them too much credit?

Why does it insist on copying my uploads to the local synch folder ? Presumably the web page version can't do this since it wont have local file system access.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 50

Go to solution

@Kadeo26 wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@Kadeo26 wrote:

BT have now given me 500GB of offline storage but without the facility to retain the folder structure for uploaded files (originals NOT copies) so for my space-saving requirement, BT Cloud is useless.

BT Cloud Sync seems to work OK but then I've got multiple copies on all my devices!

BT Cloud is very good at file sharing, so it's worth keeping it.

One method of retaining the file structures is to bundle files in groups as zipped folders.

This is time consuming, but, if done carefully will keep some order. This is a long process perhaps, but what are you going to do with 500GB of files?........You aren't going to look at them every day.

victor_meldrew, in one of his posts, seems to have worked out a way of uploading files from the desktop application without creating duplicates.

As far as I know, the web application version of BT Cloud will upload files or zipped folders without creating duplicate copies in the pc folders.

Zipping audio/video/photo files does seem like the way ahead to me.

Ooops ..... I meant to say "does NOT seem like the way ahead to me" ..... Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 50

Go to solution

Kadeo26 said zipping folders is not the way to go. I wholeheartedly agree. BT Cloud should operate seamlessly with you choosing folders/files you want copy or synching to the Cloud AND maintain your folder structure!

BT recently increased my "free" Cloud storage to 100Gb but it is virtually useless for all practical purposes. I use Google DRive which maintains your folder structure and has a form of versioning which is very useful.

Perhaps the simplest way of all is to buy something like WD MyCloud which is very simple to set up, allows automatic continuous synching and enables you to keep as many versions of a file as you like - the default is 5. It doesn't gobble up your broadband bandwidth as it is local to your network hence fast. Finally it does allow you to share files and folders over the internet (hence "My Cloud") if you so wish.

My Cloud coupled with Google DRive gives me a pretty seamless way of storing and sharing files.

IF BT ever reads these messages, it would be nice for then to acknowledge the deficiencies and gives us a clue if/when they are likely to be addressed - some hope!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 50

Go to solution

I'm in the process of switching from OneDrive to BT on the basis that OD has reduced free storage dramatically and BT has increased it. I have backed up my phone pictures back and now have an unquantified number of photographs under the heading Photos. Under Devices I have my Phone, PC and Laptop. Clicking Phone reveals 2 folders, Photos and Videos. Opening the Photo folder reveals 3 folders named dcim (ext), DCIM (ext) and dcim.  The first two each have 2 folders named 100ANDRO both of which contain 1,341 photographs. The latter, dcim, has 1 folder named 100ANDRO and contains 1 photograph.

Also, I have copied a number of documents to BTCloud and these are stored in All Files/Documents.  I have seperated these for ease of retrieval into a number of named Collections by +Add Collections.  However when I delete the files from Documents, they delete from Collections - I guess Collections is just a shortcut.

I use free versions of Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive (which are shown in the order of my preference) and am sorry to say that BTCloud is hopeless in comparrison.  How can anyone produce something so clumsy and user unfriendly with such poor functionality? Looks like I'm going to have to spalsh out for paid storage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 50

Go to solution

Have to agree with the above.

MS pulled the free 35GB OneDrive i had and reduced it to 5GB

At round the same time BT increased BTCloud to 100GB for free (well when i pay for my Infinity)

Went through all the hassle of getting OneDrive off my PC and removing all the OneDrive stuff.

Installed BTCloud and wasted 2-3 days on this.

Great, So i have 100 Gb storage to fill but it is so slow to upload. After about 20 hours (total) i had uploaded about 3-4 Gb of my 12GB of data. Even when all i was doing was getting it upload a handfull of pdfs and jpgs it was so slow to upload ithough something was wrong with my BB!!!

Couple that with the mystery "xx files have not been backed up" message (:o !!) Great so is it something important?

Add the horrible PC software and the iOS app that cuts off the top two lines of any Word document or Excel spreadsheet by hiding it behind the top banner bar.

Throw in a mix of files that appear to be corrupted once they have been uploaded.

A dash of not knowing which files have been uploaded and which haven't.....

and I'm back to OneDrive, paying £2 a month for 50 Gb, a good PC app, an excellent iOS app and after just over half an hour and i've got just over 850Mb backed up....

If BT are going to give us a very generous 100 Gb for free* (yes, i know) then can we have the tools to utilise it properly?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 50

Go to solution
This just gets worse. The picture folders that I uploaded have now disappeared and the photo content has merged with all other photos leaving me without any structure or retrievable access to specific photos. I have now spent 2 days (on and off) to end up with a mess. Thankfully the folders that I deleted from Onedrive, Google Drive and Dropbox after uploading to BTCloud are still in my trash so can be reinstated.
BTCloud really is useless. Marks out of 10... ZERO.

I guess the adage that you get what you pay for is always right.

Forgot to add that my upload speed is pretty poor (3mbps) but it really shouldn't take the hours that it has.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 50

Go to solution

Unfortunately it appears you hadn't read the posts in this subject where the loss of the original folder structure was a main complaint (by me at least!).

So yes, BTCloud is a time-wasting waste of (free) space.

Come on BT, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 38 of 50

Go to solution
Total agree there is no + button. One the most frustrating difficult apps I've used for a long time. I have only been able to select one file at a time... come on BT get your developers to sort it out.. think I'll stick with Flickr for my photos for now
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 39 of 50

Go to solution

There's an option on the web based page that says want to back up folders use the Bulk Uploader but when I try this it says plug-in required but doesn't say which plug-in. i do not want to create/sysnc folders on my pc, I'm trying to save space on my pc, hence trying to use BT cloud. So far no success. As previous contributors have stated I seem to have 100GB of cloud space but seem unable to use it. I don't want to spend hours uploading individual files.

Also, how do I share files/folders with other people?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 50

Go to solution

Hi @nmh64,

Welcome to the forums! To share things on BT Cloud, go to the 'All My Files' section of btcloud.bt.com. From there, you can tick the folder(s) you want to share and then press the 'Share' button. This will give you a URL, which you can give to people so they can access the stuff you've selected.

I have used the Bulk Uploader fine, but it is quite clunky (I use it in Firefox, it needs Java to run, and will also ask you to install some extra plugin). The BT Cloud desktop software does a much better job in my opinion, and it's less than 15MB. I would strongly recommend using that over the bulk upload.

0 Ratings