cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 50

Re: Need to be able to upload folders on bt cloud!

Go to solution

I'm afraid you are discovering the serious shortfalls in BT Cloud.. Like you I wanted to save space on my laptop NOT synchronise files. Whilst it is possible to upload a whole folder, you lose the folder structure when in BT Cloud = useless if you have hundreds or thousands of files carefully located in folders.

The 100GB might be free but is worthless. As I said in an earlier post, you are better of paying for Google Drive, Dropbox or one of the other "cloud" offerings that actually work the way you want them to.

I use network storage (WD Cloud) which is ideal for synchronised backup and Google DRive and Dropbox for sharing files and folders with friends.

I wish BT would read these postings and at least tell us whether or not they are going to address the issues but no, just a stoney silence

rgds

Simon Morgan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 50

Go to solution

Hi @skmorgan1944,

If I've understood what it is you're trying to do (dump folders onto BT Cloud with the subfolder structure intact, but not have the folder set to continiously sync to BT Cloud) then this feature works for me fine. I just right click on a folder, hover over 'BT Cloud' and then click 'Copy to BT Cloud'.

Is this what you're trying to do, and if so what is going wrong for you?

Cheers,

Joe

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 50

Go to solution

@JoeeeeeeR wrote:

Hi @skmorgan1944,

If I've understood what it is you're trying to do (dump folders onto BT Cloud with the subfolder structure intact, but not have the folder set to continiously sync to BT Cloud) then this feature works for me fine. I just right click on a folder, hover over 'BT Cloud' and then click 'Copy to BT Cloud'.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Congratulations. This is exactly what I wanted (and others I believe). I think it must be a relatively new feature as  earlier you completely lost the uploaded file structure. In any event I must have missed the feature as you need to right click on a folder(s) in the right hand window of Explorer. The "Copy to BT Cloud" isn't available from the left hand window in Explorer.

So many thanks again and I hope the many other posters to this thread have kept reading it

Rgds

Simon Morgan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 50

Go to solution

@skmorgan1944 wrote:

@JoeeeeeeR wrote:

Hi @skmorgan1944,

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Congratulations. This is exactly what I wanted (and others I believe). I think it must be a relatively new feature as  earlier you completely lost the uploaded file structure. In any event I must have missed the feature as you need to right click on a folder(s) in the right hand window of Explorer. The "Copy to BT Cloud" isn't available from the left hand window in Explorer.

So many thanks again and I hope the many other posters to this thread have kept reading it

Rgds

Simon Morgan

I thought I had offered congrats too soon ( but read on 🙂 ).

I found that by following your instructions a test folder was both copied to BT Cloud online AND to a new folder on my PC in C:\users/<user name>/ BT Cloud so in fact increasing the total data on the PC - not what I was wanting. However by looking at the BT Cloud Settings I see you can uncheck syncronising so that the folder/file will only exist in BT Cloud. You will have to delete the two folders from the local PC and you are now using BT Cloud as online storage which is what a number of us were wanting. 

I couldn't find these instructions in the BT "Help" system but maybe I was just looking in the wrong place.

So in summary, congratulations are still due to you for steering me in the right direction.

Rgds

Simon Morgan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 50

Go to solution

Hi Simon - Great, glad it's working for you. I hadn't noticed the folder was being copied, so your digging has helped me too!

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 50

Go to solution

@JoeeeeeeR wrote:

Hi Simon - Great, glad it's working for you. I hadn't noticed the folder was being copied, so your digging has helped me too!

Cheers,

Joe

Hopefully these are the definitive instructions for the use of BT Cloud as offline storage. This is different from either a syncronised file set or indeed a backup. Any comments will be most welcome particularly if correcting an error in my procedure.

I have had a BT Cloud account for a long time but never used it because most importantly the folder structure was lost when folders with subfolders were uploaded. If you are a BT broadband subscriber you get 100GB of storage which seems a shame just sitting there without being used.

Joe (see this thread) put me right about the folder structure now being preserved. I think this must be a relatively new feature. After experimenting a bit I THINK that the following works as I want it. Of course if you want to syncronise your files with BT Cloud then just follow BT's instructions (LOL).

The following applies to Windows 10 but is probably correct for Win7 and Win8.

1. Download and install the BT Cloud app from the BT website. You should now see a BT Cloud icon on the task bar.

2. Check that you now have a new folder C:\Users\<user name>\BT Cloud. This is the BT Cloud syncronisation folder. Folders and/or files located here will be uploaded/syncronised with your BT Cloud storage.

3. Drag and drop the chosen folders into C:\Users\<user name>\BT Cloud and this will be uploaded/syncronised with BT Cloud. This MOVES the folder/files rather than just copying.

4. When syncronisation has finished (hover mouse over the BT Cloud icon to check status) you need to click on the BT Cloud icon and select "Show Dashboard". Select "Sync" from the menu and you should see a list of your uploaded folders/files with a check box alongside. At the top of the list you will also see a "Sync all folders" check box. If you are absolutely sure that the uploading has completed successfully then by unchecking these boxes you will get a warning message advising that the folders will be deleted from your PC. If you are sure everything is OK then just uncheck the box and the files on your PC will be deleted from C:\Users\<user name>\BT Cloud

5. You will now ONLY HAVE THE FOLDERS in the "Cloud". Of course you could leave the boxes checked and use BT Cloud as syncronised backup.

6. Note that if you just right click on a folder on your PC and select Copy to BT Cloud you will end up with 2 copies of the folder, the original and another copy in the local BT Cloud folder.

Phew ....... I have probably neglected to mention something so be sure to put me right.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 47 of 50

Go to solution

Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry for my tardy response. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 48 of 50

Go to solution
Thanks for this. I've followed the instructions with a 'test' folder and all seems to work. Next trick is to figure out how to share folders.
Thanks. Nigel.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 50

Go to solution

Nigel, g

@nmh64 wrote:
Thanks for this. I've followed the instructions with a 'test' folder and all seems to work. Next trick is to figure out how to share folders.
Thanks. Nigel.

Nigel, good question about sharing. It works well enough in the "normal" mode of operation but if you just want your folders online AND share them but not keep a local copy then I have yet to find a way to do this (yet another reason for using Google Drive which makes sharing very easy).

If you have followed my earlier suggestion then you will not have a local copy of your folder. As far as I can see, you need a copy of a folder in the "BT Cloud" folder on your PC. Right click and all becomes obvious. So using the Sync procedure enables sharing while offline storeage without local copy doesn't.

If you find out how to do this then please let us all know how.

Rgds

Simon Morgan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 50

Go to solution

BT Cloud moves in mysterious ways! My procedure (see earlier post) works very well with FOLDERS but NOT with single files. Why not? I just don't know.

Still no success in sharing a link for a folder that only exists in the cloud 😞

@skmorgan1944 wrote:

Nigel, g

@nmh64 wrote:
Thanks. Nigel.

Nigel, good question about sharing. It works well enough in the "normal" mode of operation but if you just want your folders online AND share them but not keep a local copy then I have yet to find a way to do this (yet another reason for using Google Drive which makes sharing very easy).

If you have followed my earlier suggestion then you will not have a local copy of your folder. As far as I can see, you need a copy of a folder in the "BT Cloud" folder on your PC. Right click and all becomes obvious. So using the Sync procedure enables sharing while offline storeage without local copy doesn't.

If you find out how to do this then please let us all know how.

Rgds

Simon Morgan

0 Ratings