Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pollie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Need to know settings to add email account to mobile

Go to solution

I'm not sure if I have put this on the right board, but someone please help.

We have had a number of issues of the last fews weeks with our email accounts but all appears to be sorted now 'ish', but I have had to reset passwords. I have two email accounts and I did this on one fine and deleted both accounts from my phone and added one back fine, but not the second. The first email account I did two weeks ago, but I'll be honest I can't remember what settings I used. The second one was on the deleted email list at BT, so all that had to be sorted, which it has been and I have it working great on desktop now, but today I wanted to put it back on my phone, but I have tried everything I can find on the internet, and nothing is working with regards to what settings I need to use.

So I have a Vodafine phone, so an android, my other email had been added as a IMAP, and if I go into my email on a desktop it's a Yahoo account. So can someone tell me what all the setting should be instead of me randomly trying all sort of things and it saying I have the wrong server, or wrong email or wrong password please.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Need to know settings to add email account to mobile

Go to solution

Hi @Pollie1, Are you using the android mail client for email on your phone or a different one?

I use the GMail app for all my different email accounts and that sets them up easily with just your email address and password.

If you do need to set it up manually here's a link for the settings:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/I-need-help-setting-up-my-BT-email-Advice/td-p/1718052

0 Ratings
Pollie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hello,

Yes I am using the gmail app, and I'll be honest I have three email accounts and I've even got a fourth, as I did my hubby's email on my phone too (he doesn't do apps), so I have 3 BT Yahoo Mail and 1 gmail email address on their usually. And usually as you say, put your email address and password and it all sets up, but this time not. Hence I went in to check the settings, not that I know what I am talking about, but I wondered if something wasn't right.

When I go into settings and add account whilst in one of my email accounts that is set up and working, which do I pick off the list:

Google

Outlook, Hotmail and Live

Yahoo

Exchange and Office 365

Other

for a XXXXXXXXXX@btinternet.com email address ?

I've tried both Yahoo and Other, but neither seem to be working. Yahoo says my email address or password is incorrect and Other says my server is wrong, I think it has mail.btinternet.com, which was what made me think the setting might be wrong, as logic tells me it should be Yahoo, but maybe I'm wrong !!!!!

0 Ratings
Pollie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Just to add .......

...... interestingly I just tried to add my hubby's btinternet email back on my phone:

from my email, settings, add account, other, input email address & password and I got straight to the page that says how often do you want to get notifications etc,

then it opens the inbox no problem.

So I just tried to do the same thing with my email account I can't add and when I should get to the page that says about notifications, I get the 'incoming server' bit that says my server is mail.btinternet.com and when I click next I get an error message that says it couldn't connect to the server.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I'm new to BT so I don't have any experience of BT Yahoo Mail, there are links for BT Yahoo Mail settings on their site but they go to the current Mail settings, so their Help section is of no help.

It it's working on your PC okay, have a look and see what settings are being used. If you're using Mail for Win 10, select Manage Accounts, select the Account and then Sync Settings. Scroll down to the Advanced Mailbox Settings.

Thats the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid but someone here will have the answer. I would write all of the settings down that you have on your PC and go through it methodically on your phone.

It may be worth copying your post into the Email section on here, I think you're more likely to find someone with the necessary knowledge.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Pollie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Well, I have been at this all afternoon, but I have just found the solution.

Looks like some sort of password corruption, I have just been in on my laptop and reset my password, then tried to add the account again on my phone and it worked this time.

Thanks

0 Ratings