cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srogers
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Neighbour (BT Engineer) has Infinity despite checker saying they can't - can I?

Go to solution

DISCLAIMER:

I have read the stickys!

My neighbour is a BT engineer and when I asked him about when Infinity would be available in our area, he was surprised as he already has it.

I use the checker weekly to determine if I can get the service and no luck so far. I know the exchange (Fair Oak) has been enabled for a while. I put my neighbours address into the checker and it said it wasn't available - despite him having it!

Is it possible that whatever mechanism the checker uses is wrong? Might I be eligible regardless of what the checker says?

Is there anyone on here that can help me answer these questions?

Thanks,

Sam R

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 18

Re: Neighbour (BT Engineer) has Infinity despite checker saying they can't - can I?

Go to solution

When you say neighbour, do you mean next door neighbour or a neighbour half a mile down the road? What does it say when you put your telephone number into this checker: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
srogers
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Re: Neighbour (BT Engineer) has Infinity despite checker saying they can't - can I?

Go to solution
Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

Thats what I get when I use that checker.

My neighbour lives opposite me.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Do you have a BT phone ?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

If he lives opposite to you it's very likely you could be served by a different cabinet, ask him what cabinet he is served by.

When you did the checker with the telephone number it will tell you which cabinet you're served by.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
srogers
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Yup - I have a BT phone.

Admittedly this is based on a conversation, but the BT engineer claimed our cabinet was the same.  I live in a dead end close so we're not talking "opposite me" in any exagerrated sense of the term.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
What does your address in the address checker say?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Address?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=35...
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
0 Ratings
eSiennaSkye
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Use the ADSL checker that legitimise_sailing posted,
Also ask your neighbour if he can kindly use the same checker.

The checker will tell you exactly what Cabinet you are served by. If you're served by the same Cabinet then hopefully the mods can escalate this for you and get it fixed.
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you felt my post was informative and helpful then please click the star below my name/avatar.

Cheers!
0 Ratings
srogers
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

This is the full output (I already posted this, I believe) form the checker you suggest:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

Fixed Rate2----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Mar-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

I can't see a cabinet number.

Here is the output from my neighbour oppiosite:

Featured Products

Fixed Rate2----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Mar-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Looks the same to me - no mention of Infinity - but he has it....

0 Ratings