cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snappy01
Message 1 of 8

Neighbour has "hacked" into phone line

I wonder if anyone has experienced/resolved a similar problem to this?

My sister lives in a road of relatively modern houses; each was built with it's own BT line coming in underground until just before the house, then coming above the surface just to go into the house.

She has recently discovered, whilst gardening, that another cable has been attached to her cable where it emerges above ground - this new cable goes over her garden wall into the neighbour's house.  She is on good terms with her neighbours and wants to keep things that way; they claim the engineer who carried out the work assured them it was all above board.  However, she wants this extraneous cabling, which was obviously done without either her knowledge or consent by somebody trespassing on her property and tampering with her own BT line, removed. 

Suggestions welcome. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Neighbour has "hacked" into phone line

If you know your neighbours phone number ring it. If their line rings then it is not hacked into your number. If you don't know their number ask them.

It was probably a cheap way for BT to get around a damaged cable to their property. There is normally more than one pair in these cables. Mine is underground to the property with two pairs and at one time in the past was swapped to the other pair due to a line fault.

Peter

Peter
0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

@snappy01 wrote:

I wonder if anyone has experienced/resolved a similar problem to this?

My sister lives in a road of relatively modern houses; each was built with it's own BT line coming in underground until just before the house, then coming above the surface just to go into the house.

She has recently discovered, whilst gardening, that another cable has been attached to her cable where it emerges above ground - this new cable goes over her garden wall into the neighbour's house.  She is on good terms with her neighbours and wants to keep things that way; they claim the engineer who carried out the work assured them it was all above board.  However, she wants this extraneous cabling, which was obviously done without either her knowledge or consent by somebody trespassing on her property and tampering with her own BT line, removed. 

Suggestions welcome. 

It's probable that the cable feeding your sister's house has spare pairs, and an installer has used one of these. Remember, it's not her cable - it's BT's, and they are quite entitled to use spare cable pairs as they see fit. It isn't a matter of "Tampering" with "Her" line. 

That said, BT regularly sites equipment in adjacent properties, en route to an end customer. This is covered by the "Wayleave " laws. Under normal circumstances, permission should have been sought for this. This doesn't seem to have been the case.

The problem is just how to register an objection with BT, as it's a legal matter. Don't bother calling the "Help Desk" - they won't have the first idea how to handle this. I'd suggest - in the first instance - writing to :

Customer Service Director
BT plc
Correspondence Centre
Durham
DH98 1BT

The letter should give the relevant telephone numbers and addresses for both your sister and her neighbours. Your sister should state that BT has installed "Line plant" in her property without her permission, and without a wayleave, and that she wishes it removed.  That should  trigger a visit by a BT Wayleaves officer to survey the situation, and explain options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

I suspect that only BT could definitively answer this one. It could be entirely legitimate. If the underground cable is a multi-core one, then a BT engineer may have connected to a spare pair of wires to supply a telephone connection to the house next door.

0 Ratings
petersmith0151
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

i use to live in a block of high rise flats, on the 8th floor, there was a service cupboard on every landing with bt connection in each one, every now and then the extension in use light came on on my phone, i would pick up phone and would here people talking, bt found out some one on the 5th floor was connecting wires to my cable, infact he had done this to every active line in the block

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

this is all correct the line must have spair pairs in it the cable or you could have a node in the garden with lots of pairs in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Arianax
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I would be very suspicious. Assuming there AREN'T multiple lines in a single cable then you really are being bugged.

Difficult to know who to trust.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

this thread is almost 8 years old!!!!

I wish mods would lock these old posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.