cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
golgotha
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Net Protect Plus no ability to add to Trusted list

It would appear that BT Yahoo or McAfee or maybe both seem to want to treat us all as idiots.  I have spent an annoying afternoon trying to trace an error in the installation of an add-on for Flight Simulator 2004, only to find that despite this being from a reputable company who has been developing additional aircraft packages for many years, McAfee keeps removing parts of the package that are needed to be able to use it and are not viruses.

Net Protect Plus seems to have been doctored so that you are unable to add known software to a trusted list, which would allow me to continue to enjoy my PC.  It does not matter if you turn off 'Realtime Scanning', within a few moments of the installer finishing it removes the parts that I need, for some reason recognising them as threats, which they are most certainly NOT.

This accounts for other software that would not even install or cogent parts were removed, from reputable developers.

The only way forward is to remove Net Protect Plus, which seems to be a reliable solution to threats on the web, as it seems to desire to take over all choices, by not allowing a choice to trust something, like in other versions of similar protection software.  I like McAfee as it does not have the Norton memory grabbing faults, but BT need to see that not all users are unable to do anything other than switch on theiri PC and need protecting from the world.  More than a small number will have the aptitude to make imformed decisions about software safety, so please negotiate with McAfee so that we have the option of placing things on the trust list, rather than as now being forced to run unprotected until I find another security option that at least allows me choice in what is installed on my PC.

golgotha

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Net Protect Plus no ability to add to Trusted list

Hi golgotha and welcome

I'm not sure if this will help, but what if...

You open BTNP, then click on navigation
Then sroll down and select Quarantined and Trusted Items
Check for the wrongly removed files and restore them

Another place to check for a solution  - https://community.mcafee.com/community/help

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
golgotha
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for taking the time to try and help, but from the link you give and from searching for options, there is no way in this release to add things to the trusted list.  You certainly can restore from the quarantine, but even if real time scanning is disabled, 5 seconds after restoring a file, it is rapidly spirited away again by McAfee.

The problem is that time is not just the issue as with some bought software, there is only a small number of activations possible, where afterwards you have to contact the developer to have it unlocked again.  It is part of the required anti-piracy protection that they need to build in and sometimes seem to think that you might be pulling a fast one, so you need to fully explain the issue, before they reset the activation number locks.

So until I find something that I like, I shall run without re-installing McAfee, a shame as I like it and it is part of my BT subscription.

GolgothaSmiley Mad

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Hi,did you check the previous link, it will take you to this  https://community.mcafee.com/message/168205#168205

from there, you should find details on how you can add  trusted files.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings