cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weewhale2
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

NetProtect update and internet speed?

I have had very slow internet for a week. I have contacted BT and after some tests, they insist it is my computer at fault.

Windows Vista 3yr old...running fine otherwise.

Although I am not entirely convinced if this, I decided to do a 'system restore' to a date just before the slowness started.

The problem seemed to coincide with an update to the NetProtect antivirus, and when I restored the computer to a date before this update...the internet returned to its normal speed.  

I then of course had the message 'your computer is at risk' so had to update it again.

Immediately after I did this and restarted the computer, it was back to very slow internet again.

So would seem the NetProtect update caused the problem ?

Could someone please advise on this. Thankyou.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: NetProtect update and internet speed?

there have been similar posts on the subject have a look through the search you may get some more help there
0 Ratings
weewhale2
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the McAfee forum and there seems to be a lot of posts with this same complaint that streaming video will not work after a recent update. 

They suggest turning off 'Netguard' can't seem to locate that on Netprotect ??

Otherwise turning off McAfee firewall and Windows firewall ON.

Wonder if I have got this correct. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Try turning off the firewall If all ok then turn on windows fire wall and recheck if ok leave like that and turn off mcafee firewall and leave it off
0 Ratings
weewhale2
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Turning off the NetProtect Firewall and turning on Windows Firewall seems to have solved the problem.

This was without doubt caused by the latest antivirus update from the NetProtect.

Should BT have notified customers about this? 

0 Ratings
ajwalkden
Message 6 of 8

I had the same problem on my parents' Vista SP2 box. An update around 9th December more or less disabled the internet. If they tried to browse 3 or 4 times to a page, the 3rd or 4th time it'd load. Streaming or downloading large (>1MB) files was impossible. Eventually turned off McAfee Firewall (turn on again set to "Never") and enabled the Windows Firewall, and all was OK. BT NetProtect running on my XP box is absolutley fine though.

I'd recently reinstalled Vista onto the box, so it had very little apart from Vista + MS patches on it, so it seems unlikely that a rogue install of something could be causing any conflicts with the BT NetProtect suite. A bit of awareness from BT would have been helpful as my Dad had been on the 'phone to them suspecting a dud internet connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

the net protect suite is provided by McAfee not BT so there is every chance that BT would be unaware of the problem until it is reported
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@weewhale2 wrote:

Turning off the NetProtect Firewall and turning on Windows Firewall seems to have solved the problem.

I'd suggest going a step further - wipe McAfee completely and choose a less intrusive antivirus. I've now abandoned McAfee (with a year to go on my subscription) in favour of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), and don't regret it for a moment. There are plenty of freebies to consider though reviews vary wildly. The best recommendation I found was that a good antivirus is one you're happy with; that wasn't McAfee for me. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings