Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 19

Netflix Buffering Issue

Hi Everyone,

Some Youview customers have experienced a problem with Netflix constantly buffering while trying to watch content.  The guys over at YouView are actively investigating these reports and have asked for some help.

They have created a survey with a list of questions which will help them investigate and identify any problems.  Could I please ask that if you have experienced buffering when watching Netflix please fill out this short survey, Netflix buffering survey

You can see YouView's response on their forum via this link, Netflix buffering problem

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
siteguru
Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Netflix Buffering Issue

I've noticed this and thought it was just me. Power cycling my powerline adapters (1 at the HH4 and the other at the YV box) seems to recover the issue - at least temporarily.

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 3 of 19

Any update on when this will be fixed? The linked youview thread still simply says In Progress.

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 19

Hi @siteguru,

Thanks for the post.  I have received a response from our technical team.

We’re aware of a problem affecting a small number of customers using Netflix on BT TV which results in programmes getting ‘stuck’ at the 25% point. Although this issue affects Netflix on other TV services or devices in different ways, on BT’s YouView boxes our investigations show this may be related to the use of Power line Adaptors/Broadband Extenders.

We’re still troubleshooting the exact cause but in the short term, if you can connect your YouView box directly to your BT Home Hub using a LAN cable it may resolve the issue.  We’re sorry for any inconvenience and we’ll update you once we know more.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 5 of 19

Yes I do use powerline adapters but I'm cautious to say it is absolutely that ... the thread linked to the Youview forum shows a variety of connection types giving the same issue with BT Youview boxes.

When I get a chance I'll try a direct connection from the Bt YV box to the BT HH4, but I'm not confident of this being successful. And there's no way this can be a permanent configuration in my house - SWMBO would have a dicky fit. (The TV and YV box is on one side of the room; the HH4 is on the other side, and we have laminate flooring so no way to hide the cable).

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 19

Hi Siteguru,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Please come back here and let us know how you get on.  I know our tech team would be very interested to know if this has helped in your situation.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 7 of 19

Test from first night's trial with a wired connection ... no buffering errors when watching 3 episodes of Buffy. (No sniggering at the back please!) 🙂

However I have been able to do this previously without a direct connection, so further testing is needed.

Bottom line though ... even if powerline adapters ARE the root cause, it still needs fixed - no other app gives this issue and a permanent direct connection is not possible in my house.

And why would powerline adapters be worse than wifi? (I get no such issues using the Netflix app on my phone and casting to my Chromecast device).

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

@siteguru wrote:

And why would powerline adapters be worse than wifi? (

Mains borne interference will increase the error rate and cause re-transmissions. This will reduce the actual throughput.

If you ran a speed test with a PC connected to where the YouView box is, you may be able to see differing results.

siteguru
Expert
Message 9 of 19

Whilst I accept that as a possible issue, I have just run some tests via speedtest.net, first over wifi, then direct to the HH4, then via the other end of the powerline adapter (where the YV box is normally connected). All were to the same server.

Wifi was slower than wired (but not significantly so) but the ping was OK.

HH4 was good both up and down (4.6meg/36meg) with 39ms ping

Powerline was good, almost identical to HH4, also with 39ms ping

That said, the app should be able to cope with re-transmissions ... even by simply buffering a few seconds of playback.

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 10 of 19

I watched another 3 episodes of Buffy last night without any buffering issue, so in my case the evidence is building regarding powerline adapters.

However it is still ONLY the Netflix app that gives this problem on my Youview box, therefore the fundamental problem is not powerline adapters but the Netflix app's inability to deal with them.

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings