Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Netflix slow on Android

Go to solution
Hi I have BT Whole Home WiFi, the latest bt home hub and the Netflix speed on both of our Android phones is terrible. I switch to 4G and it flies. We also have BT TV but never watch Netflix on this device. This is defiantly a network issues. I have patched firmware on all devices, setup status ip addresses to google dns and the problem still occurs. I can only concur that BT is throttling Netflix. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: Netflix slow on Android

Go to solution
Oops static ip addresses
0 Ratings
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution
More testing done as soon as I add a VPN connection Netflix and Gmail are suddenly incredibly quick on my android phone whilst connected to BT Home WiFi. This proves its a network issue. Come on BT let's be transparent about traffic shaping and restrictions. How can Netflix via a VPN connection in the UK be quicker than Netflix without a VPN connected to your flagship broadband router and WiFi setup?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution
BT do not traffic shape or any other restrictions on their products
0 Ratings
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

So why using a VPN does it work about 100% quicker ? I've worked in IT for 23+ years, and either there is an issue with DNS / Network settings at BT or they are shaping traffic.

Its not just Netflix on Android, its GMail as well and Facebook.

So how do you explain this ?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

What Android device are you using?

0 Ratings
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Its impacting my daughters Motorola G4 and My OnePlus 3T and Samsung S5. As soon as we switch to a VPN speeds are great.

We're also seeing the slowdown in Gmail, Facebook but its Netflix that is painful. Switch it onto 4G it flies, use the other apps via a VPN and they are instant, go direct via BT its incredibly slow.

My BT WholeHome WIFI is connected over gigabit homeplugs so it should be quick 🙂 yet we only see this when using the VPN on the devices.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution
Check if your devices are being assigned IPv6 addresses, and if so try disabling on the device and test again.

The Hub 6 has IPv6 enabled by default and on modern OS it's preferred over IPv4.

When you use 4G or VPN you'll almost certainly be using IPv4.

Regards
0 Ratings
andyduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Good Shout but on Android you can only disable IP6 if you are root, and I can't find a away to disable it on the BT Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Do you get this issue if you connect directly to the SmartHub wifi instead of the BT Whole Home WiFi?

0 Ratings