cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickbrooks991
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Netgear FVS336G VPN Firewall and BT HH3

I am trying to put the FVS336G into my home network directly after the HH3 and before a netgear 16port switch. The 200+ pages netgear ref manual is not paticularly helpful and from what I have read/+online I can only have one DHCP Server on the network, currently that is the HH3. Can I disable DHCP Server on the HH3 and I assume bridge it to the FVS336G? I would like the FVS336G to act as the DHCP Server in the network and use the HH3 just as an ADSL Modem. Or do I dispense with the HH3 and just get a cheap ADSL modem? I purchased the FVS336G so that I could secure my network down better and use the VPN/SSL tunnelling to allow me to access my NAS when I am away from home on business.

Any advice on putting a physical VPN Firewall router into the network would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Netgear FVS336G VPN Firewall and BT HH3

Judging by the number of problems people on here seem to have with the HH, I would suggest a cheap ADSL modem would be a better option.

0 Ratings
mickbrooks991
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I have been informed by the Netgear forum that the FVS336G only supports PPPoE whereas the HH3 is indicating on it's config screen PPPoA. Is BT able to change the protocol used for my line to PPPoE? If they cannot for standard Broadband, if I upgrade to Infinity which is due in my area shortly, can that provide PPPoE?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

PPPoA is used for ADSL connections, and PPPoE is used for Infinity connections.

If you used a separate ADSL modem to do the authentication, then authentication would not be needed on the Netgear, as the PPP session would already be up, however it would be a waste of money if you moved to Infinity.

Meanwhile, you can still use the Netgear as an additional wireless access point if you want.

0 Ratings
mickbrooks991
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, that what I thought; PPPoA was ATM and that until I upgrade to PPPoE on Infinity I cannot use the FVS336G VPN Firewall Router. I guess I will put back in the box and wait the 4 months before Openreach upgrade my town.

With regards to using the netgear VPN firewall router as a WAP - not acheivable as it is a Wired VPN box not Wireless. I read somewhere that ISPs could change there provision on a line between PPPoA and PPPoE depending on what the customer wanted. Obviously this is  not the case with BT. 

0 Ratings