Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 11

Netgear Orbi

Go to solution
Need a little help I'm looking at the netgear Orbi router to replace my HH6 but can't find out online if they are compatible with Infinity or not does anyone know thanks Michael.
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Netgear Orbi

Go to solution

You will need a separate modem to use it in place of the Hub.  See here:-

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/orbi/

Quick start guide here:-

www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBK50_QSG_EN.pdf

Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks @Liam_
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi

The BT HH6 IS compatable with the Orbi. You do NOT need a seperate modem.

I just got the Orbi followed the instructions and connected it to the HH6 via ethernet port and the Orbi sees the HH6 as a gateway to the internet. All works fine

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@Graham2607

As you are no doubt aware the Orbi is a router.  If you place a router behind a router in your network you end up with double NAT and all the associated problems that can cause.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Hi, yes I am aware of the potential issues with double NAT but not an issue for Internet email etc but can get around double NAT if required with Port fowarding
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Perhaps more importantly, the Orbi works fine in AP mode connected to a modem router; you do need to turn of your wifi on the modem router but apart from that just select AP mode for the Orbi. The only problem I had was that my Smarthub was unreliable so I am now using a TP Link VR900 as a modem router.  That works fine but I no IPV6; I can't see any need for that so it's ok. I tried using the VR900 in modem only mode (bridge) and the Orbi in router mode but couldn't see my connection stats so reverted to the Orbi in AP mode.  Bottom line, the Orbi works fine in Either mode, shame about the Smarthub which has had me banded down to 60Mbs since Jan. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I had a lot of issues with DHCP on the Smarthub some devices notgetting an IP address and even the same address issued to 2 differnet devices so I prefer to use the Orbie as the router. Another solution to the double NAT issue is to put the Orbie into the DMZ zone on the Smarthub. Obviously this will foward all unsolicited traffic that is not blocked by the firewall to the Orbi. As this will be fowarded to a Router with its own firewall ETC, is this as safe?

(According to the Smarthub info, the Orbi is still behind the firewall of the Smarthub but by passes the NAT and DHCP.

I would appreciate any comments on this configuration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
In theory that should work but I have little confidence left in the Smarthub.........
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

A device in the DMZ will still use the same private IP address range of the Hub e.g., within the 192.168.1.0/24 range, and as such traffic to and from it will still use the NAT function of the Hub. Not sure of the 'help' message from the latest Hubs, but it used to state:

"Only one device, with either a static or a private DHCP address, can be placed into the DMZ. The Hub will give it a private IP address and forward all appropriate traffic to this device.

Important: Placing a host in DMZ has significant implications for its security. Although it will be still located behind the Hub's firewall ALL unsolicited traffic not rejected by the firewall will be sent to this host by the Hub's Network Address Translator, increasing it's vulnerability to attack."

This specifically mentions traffic not rejected by the Hub's NAT function being sent to the device in the DMZ.

To be honest, if I'd invested several hundred pounds on the Orbi, I'd get a modem and remove the Hub. You can find second hand Openreach (Huawei HG612) modems on ebay for a reasonable price, or if you want new, then there's the option of the Netgear DM200 or the Draytek 130.

Regards

0 Ratings