cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Netprotect Plus blocking program update

I make extensive use of Calibre ebook management and reader software which had recently been updated to version 2.0.0.  Unfortunately BTNP+ had blocked this upgrade.  How can I persuade it that this is safe and I really would like to do it?

Malcolm

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Netprotect Plus blocking program update

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

However if you do want to keep using BTNetprotect if you go into the settings and you should find a setting to unblock the program that you want.

This link is for McAfee but it wil be the same on BTNetprotect. I am posting it not to show you how to unblock only how to get to the settings.

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=a2068730-fdaa-11e1-7a24-000000...

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Oh, bother, sometimes you just cannot do right for doing wrong.  Having got pretty fed-up with commercial anti-virus software hogging computer time we had used Microsoft Security Essentials for some years, but now that is going with Windows 8.  Using the BT offering seemed like the right thing to do.

I will have a go at the settings and if that is a pain I will change to one of your recommendations.

Thank you for your help.

Malcolm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Windows 8 has Windows Defender built-in (this replaced Microsoft Security Essentials), so if you do remove NetProtect you can just turn on the in-built security by searching for Windows Defender in the Control Panel and enabling it.