cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Network Speed and Wifi Reliability

My WiFi constantly drops out at home especially at peaks times losing signal to Sonos, Alexa and around the home. BT claim to provide and charge for the fastest speeds and the best on the market router but having fancy equipment being supplied by a 50 year old overhead cable which is over a mile away from nearest exchange with untold amount of joints in it is pointless. Virgin Media are currently outside my house installing Fibre Optic cables. How can BT guarantee their supply with an antiquated supply cable and WHY will they not acknowledge that the service they provide me with is awful and inferior to competitors.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Network Speed and Wifi Reliability

can you post connection stats from your router

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

All ISPs apart from virgin use the openreach network so connection would be on same wiring as you currently have.  WIFI is very dependent on your home conditions and no ISP guarantees speed over a wireless connection for that reason

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I shall once back indoors but currently in the Irish Sea with a better connection than at home.. 😁
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

What exactly is the point of your posts ?
If you think you will get a better service with Virgin, then simply ask them to supply service to your address, and cancel your BT service.
The vast majority of VM customers are served by a hybrid fibre/copper system , and if Openreach FTTC is available , it too is a hybrid fibre/copper system....you would be in a tiny minority if you had access to true FTTH from VM.
Perhaps you can provide a link to where BT claim to offer the 'fastest' speeds, and 'best on the market' router
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

My point of my post was to highlight the marketting ethics of BT and if you have not seen their claims offering best speeds and most advanced router for optimum service then you must be walking around in the dark. No company should be allowed to offer a service and fail to deliver. My experience with BT is shocking but can not get anywhere with customer service and therefore I SHALL go to VM.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

My network speed and Wi-Fi are as expected and would be same with any other ISP never tried virgin so can't compare

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Thank you for your input, I shall let you know how I get on with VM it is just the constant dropping out and searching that bugs me, especially during Ken Bruce Pop Master. lol 🙂
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

BT's advert about the power output/range of their router and it having 'the most powerful signal compared to other major ISP's router' is a claim they apparently can prove, so if 'wifi not spots' in your home is your major problem, then , when you are a VM customer , if you site the VM router in a similar position to the BT one, then you may well have similar problems, no provider guarantees 'wifi' , as every home environment is different, have you tried Ethernet cables if appropriate ?
As far as 'walking in the dark' I'm sure what BT has said wasn't that they were the fastest provider, apart from anything, they use OR/BT wholesale products that are available to any ISP that wants to sell them, they may say it's 'our fastest broadband' that's not the same as 'it's the fastest broadband' and its not like it's only BT that use this type of marketing language, that's why I asked for a link to what you think they say, a link you won't be able to supply.
Anyway, I hope your (probably not fibre to the home) Virgin service delivers what you want, this forum tends to try and help BT customers that have a problem that needs addressing, you already know what the solution to your 'problem'  is, so as initially asked 'what's the point of the post ?', apart from venting your anti BT feeling,you aren't really asking for assistance,  if you had offered some detail on what the actual problem is, who knows , some may even share that feeling with you.

Message 9 of 11

Fair enough i misunderstood, i was looking to see if anyone else had the same problem as i experience with the " dropping out " especially at peak times i.e 17:00 to 19:00 and 07:00 -09:30 in particular . I am fully aware of black spots, router positions not near windows etc.. my VM connection will however be FO as they are cabling the entire area as we speak, causing all kinds of mayhem and making a mess of the pavements but yes installing FO. I have in the mean time run Cat5E to many positions and in the process of hard wiring TVs,PCs, Speakers and remote receivers but all this will not solve my issue if BT can not offer continuity of supply..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

the virgin connection will be coax into your home not fibre

0 Ratings