asunited
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Network Type

Hi all. I need to find the network type for my bt infinity broadband. ie is it DHCP,PPPoE,Static or DNS?. I need this to be able to view my Sentinel CCTV over the internet. Does anybody have the Sentinel (Kguard) CCTV system?. If so can you help me with the settings?. I have tried to get in touch with maplin where i got it from but yet have had no reply.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Network Type

The terms apply to various functions of your system it is not a case of one of them is 'network type'. You will be using PPPoE and DNS but DHCP or static refers to how you have configured the IP address of your device. With DHCP, the hub will allocate an address, with static, you will have allocated manually.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

@asunited wrote:

Hi all. I need to find the network type for my bt infinity broadband. ie is it DHCP,PPPoE,Static or DNS?. I need this to be able to view my Sentinel CCTV over the internet. Does anybody have the Sentinel (Kguard) CCTV system?. If so can you help me with the settings?. I have tried to get in touch with maplin where i got it from but yet have had no reply.

Thanks.

Hi there,

The network encapsulation would be PPPoE, but this is largely irrelevant in this instance.

What you would need to view your CCTV from an external source, is your WAN IP, which is the IP address that the internet sees.

What I would suggest you do is go to this website, which will tell you your WAN IP address.

Then to view your camera feed, you would need to put that address into a web browser followed by a colon and a port number, so it would possibly look like http://1.2.3.4:8080. You would need to consult your manual to get the exact port numbers.

Also, as your infinity connetion uses what's known as a dynamic IP address (It changes each time the connection drops or is restarted) then you would need to set a domain name for your connection, which, as far as I can tell, is a service offered by the kguard site under DDNS.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but this isn't really my area of expertise.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

There are some examples on these pages.

CCTV and IP cameras - port forwarding

0 Ratings
asunited
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

home hub 3

Hi all. In trying to get my cctv system working over the internet i have managed to get into my homehub settings. What i find is that it says there are no devices connected. So it cannot detect my cctv dvr. What i dont understand is i can access the internet via my pc but when i type in the ip it wont connect to the hub. The only way i can change the settings is to access them via wifi!. I have tried a reset but still have no joy. Can anyone help please as i am going away soon and would like to get my cctv system viewable over the internet. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Re: home hub 3

Look at worked examples on link posted on the last post. Also this link may help.

Port forwarding problems

All the settings need to be made by accessing the home hub mail menu, and using the advanced settings.