cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

New Area Codes for BT Landlines

I have recently had my landline number changed.  To my astonishment I was given a totally different area code for my vicinity which I have lived in for some 20 years.  Does anyone know about these new area codes and when they were proposed to come into operation.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Area Codes for BT Landlines

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is nothing I have heard of, what was the old area code you had and what new one were you given?

Perhaps BT have opened a new exchange in your area and have off loaded customers on to it.

Unless you are refering to an 0506 code which is used for BB Talk customers.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Dave for replying to my message in the Forum about New Area Codes.  You asked me what my old area code was it was 500 the new one BT gave me is 172 and then the number.  I dont get it.  Unless it is something to do with what you said (off-loading).  But I still dont get it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

I assume you mean 01500 and 0172? I am not sure there were any 01500 numbers so this could well have been a BB talk number which is now being phased out, what code does your neigbours have?

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Hi again Dave I got it wrong the area code is 0208 then the number 500 etc which has been changed to 0208 172 then the number.  I got confused sorry, Can you help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Mmmm the London area is slightly different to the rest of the country due to the compact area there are many codes in use.
I am still guessing that they have done a re-shuffle of lines, I assume you had paperwork to support this change?

It is possible that there is a fault and you have got someone else's number? BT do not normally just change a customers number without some explanation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Assume you are on Hainault exchange.

This type of exchange can have a selection of different number ranges.

0208 500 XXXX can only have a maximum of 9999 line, if the exchange has to cater for more lines than this, then a new range is required.

To really cause confusion, i believe there is a posibility your line could have been renumbered to 0203 243 XXXX

It's just another range on the exchange.. nothing to worry about.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Titanic wrote:

Assume you are on Hainault exchange.

This type of exchange can have a selection of different number ranges.

0208 500 XXXX can only have a maximum of 9999 line, if the exchange has to cater for more lines than this, then a new range is required.

To really cause confusion, i believe there is a posibility your line could have been renumbered to 0203 243 XXXX

It's just another range on the exchange.. nothing to worry about.

There is if they randomly change your number.

If notified then that is a different matter

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9