cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 54

Re: New BT 300/30 service.

I stream webcasts already, and a symmetrical 1Gbps connection would be very, very handy. At the moment, not so much of an issue, but it would be very nice to know that, in the short terms, a 1080p uncompressed signal could be watched by the viewership - and that's not going to happen without good fast fibre. It has to come - and the sooner the better.

0 Ratings
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 54

are you kidding? why would you think 300mbps is 'too much' the fact that downloading megabytes still takes a while, it's important to make gigabytes download as fast as possible.

you may not be a heavy downloader but when you do download, wouldn't you want it to be instant? with 1gbps fttp we pretty much will have stuff on demand.

also i am jealous that you get 300mbps fttp lol i only get 50/18 fttc
0 Ratings
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 54

@P4PERTR4iL wrote:
also i am jealous that you get 300mbps fttp lol i only get 50/18 fttc

I only get 20/6 FTTC

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 54

think how those on 56k dial up may feel and there are still some exchanges without broadband active at all
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 15 of 54

I can see a very big use for 300+, not sure if we have the services quite there to use it yet but not far off!

Still, we are well on the way to a retail 1Gbps service, just do we have the backbone for it all yet? That I'm not so sure about.

0 Ratings
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 54

how long do you think the rollout of fttp in majority of places will take? i have only seen a few cities with residential fttp

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sageman
Contributor
Message 17 of 54

BT can not supply most people with the estimated speeds that were advised on Infinity 2 so do you think that it will be any better with the new technology.

hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 54

@Sageman wrote:

BT can not supply most people with the estimated speeds that were advised on Infinity 2 so do you think that it will be any better with the new technology.

There's no copper involved, basically. It's fibre - it's pretty much an ethernet over fibre solution. It either works at full chat, or it doesn't work. Bring it on!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 54

@Sageman wrote:

What statistics do you have to prove that "most" can't get the speeds their predicted.

I could easily as argue that they do provide "most" with the estimated speeds.

Don't forget, you only see people on here who have problems. And given that BT retail now have over 600,000 customers on FTTC connections, I reckon they're not doing too bad of a job. 

As mentioned above, FTTP works or it doesn't...copper is the cause of 99% of problems.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
BB
Contributor
Message 20 of 54

My thought's exactly Sageman

0 Ratings