cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

New BT Box set up but no FreeView channels (aerial connection)

Hi, I have just received BT TV box (Humax DTRT4000) for first time and have set up as per instructions. Subscription channels fine, but cannot tune in FreeView channels. Appears that the aerial connection not working.

I have rooftop aerial which comes in via socket near TV. When aerial cable connected directly to my (Sony) TV I am able to access FreeView via the TV. When I connect aerial cable to BT box aerial-in socket, and connect BT box to TV via HDMI cable, cannot tune in FreeView channels and message indicates no external signal.

I have also tried additionally connecting a second aerial male/female from BT box directly into TV aerial in socket but makes no difference.

If the aerial works directly with my TV to give FreeView, why is it not working via BT box?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: New BT Box set up but no FreeView channels (aerial connection)

@MarkA4 

Your statement "I have also tried additionally connecting a second aerial male/female from BT box directly into TV aerial in socket but makes no difference." . This is always necessary anyway. The Youview box has it's input from your TV aerial and then from there loops into your TV. To enable that signal passthru when the Youview box is off there's a setting to enable this. It's under Picture & Sound and is Antenna Out.

When you have the TV aerial directly into the TV can you check what level of signal strength & quality you have from the TV , it'll be somewhere in your TV's settings menu.

The tuners on the Youview box are nowhere near as good/strong as on a TV so if your signal is on the low side that might be the problem.

Message 3 of 11

@MarkA4  As previous could be signal strength.

When tuning in , does it pick up radio channels?

Message 4 of 11

Thank you. The second aerial cable from box to TV seems intuitive but was not mentioned at all in BT box setup instructions. I did enable the Antenna Out setting after googling for similar problems.

The signal diagnostics when aerial connected directly to TV are:

Signal Quality: 100

Signal Level: 93

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Thanks.

No radio channels. When I have retuned previously (~10 times) I have always got all the subscription channels but zero TV Aerial Channels.

But I have just retuned and managed to get 5 FreeView channels (4 Sony tv channels and London Live - I live in London). This at least has enabled me to view signal strength via BT box for FreeView. On London Live channel I see:

Signal strength: ranging between 43%-50%

Signal quality: 61-64%

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@MarkA4 

You could try checking the cable into the Youview box, like it's connector etc.

You could also try a Maintenance Mode reset using options 2 and/or 4. Look here for details. Unlikely to fix anything but always worth a try.

However, you might need an local aerial guy to check out your aerial.

Message 7 of 11

Re: New BT Box set up but no FreeView channels (aerial connection)a

It is surprising that the only channels you seem to have picked up albeit with poor signal strength and poor quality are those off the Local mux which would typically be transmitted at lower power levels than the the other muxes. 

i don’t think we can rule out signal overload if the higher power mux signals are not being tuned in so it possible that a variable attenuator might be worth trying.

The other thoughts are on interference  due to other cabling or devices, 

also  are we sure there are no signal booster or splitters in the serial feed.

Message 8 of 11

@MarkA4  I’d ask BT to send another box to test . Getting a aerial guy out could be costly, so I’d rule out the box first.

Message 9 of 11

Thank you. I tried to contact BT but can't get through on support number and they advise only urgent calls in current situation. Doesn't seem to be any other way to contact them though.

The good responses I have had on here suggest maybe aerial strength is not adequate but I don't really want cost or effort of having aerial checked/replaced.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Re: New BT Box set up but no FreeView channels (aerial connection)a

Thank you. Can only say that I have single aerial cable from wall aerial socket which is a couple of feet away from box/TV. Can't say if anything outside between there and aerial on roof. There is another property on top two floors and single aerial on roof so possible I guess.

0 Ratings