cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

New BT Broadband customer with email problem - no email address?!

Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm a new BT Broadband customer - service officially started on the 18th June, but I have been able to login to BT Broadband since the 17th.

First of all I would like to say that my broadband is fine, with speeds comparable to my old ISP. The only problem I have at the moment is with the email address supplied with the account.

According to the order reference letter, my BT email address and password are the same as the broadband username and password. So having found details of how to setup my email account via this website - I'm using Windows Live Mail BTW - I followed these instructions, and when I try to "Sync" my BT email address, all that happens is that I keep beeing asked to login! So I went to the BT Yahoo website, and again try to login, and this time the website tells me that my email address does not exist! LOLSmiley Very Happy

At the end of the day it's no skin off my nose if this address works or not, as I already have two email addresses that I keep for the important stuff. But what bothers me is that it says in the letter that:

"We'll email important information to you at this address, so please check it regularly"

But how can they if my BTinternet address does not exist?

I've just noticed, via the BT.com website, that my broadband order is still in progress Smiley Surprised Since the estimated order completion date was Friday 18 June 2010, how long does it usually take for BT to setup a new email account?, or for that matter complete a broadband order?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: New BT Broadband customer with email problem - no email address?!

Go to solution

@harrybeadlebaum wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a new BT Broadband customer - service officially started on the 18th June, but I have been able to login to BT Broadband since the 17th.

First of all I would like to say that my broadband is fine, with speeds comparable to my old ISP. The only problem I have at the moment is with the email address supplied with the account.

According to the order reference letter, my BT email address and password are the same as the broadband username and password. So having found details of how to setup my email account via this website - I'm using Windows Live Mail BTW - I followed these instructions, and when I try to "Sync" my BT email address, all that happens is that I keep beeing asked to login! So I went to the BT Yahoo website, and again try to login, and this time the website tells me that my email address does not exist! LOLSmiley Very Happy

At the end of the day it's no skin off my nose if this address works or not, as I already have two email addresses that I keep for the important stuff. But what bothers me is that it says in the letter that:

"We'll email important information to you at this address, so please check it regularly"

But how can they if my BTinternet address does not exist?

I've just noticed, via the BT.com website, that my broadband order is still in progress Smiley Surprised Since the estimated order completion date was Friday 18 June 2010, how long does it usually take for BT to setup a new email account?, or for that matter complete a broadband order?

Hi.

For info, your email address is actually not the same as the BB login ID, though hopefully the BTinternet email address was given as :-

username AT btinternet DOT com

where username is either your chosen name you wanted when signing up (possibly firstname.surname), or one given to you which could be a mixture of your name and a few numbers.

The typical login ID is bt@btbroadband.com, or very similar. See my shortcuts option 0d, item [a] for the info on the possible login ID structure. Number [ii] is pretty much the standard these days.

Have a look again at your letter to see if you've got the correct info. If it is indeed an "@btinternet.com" email address, make sure that any "eyes", "zeros", "8" etc are perhaps not mistaken for other characters, and if a "period" is used make sure you've entered that as well.

Sorry for any inference in my paragraph above there, but these things are easy to miss !

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the info Andy.

Have already tried what you suggested, but the letter clearly states that: "Your Total Broadband username is also your BT email address", and my username ends @btinternet.com

I have now officially contacted BT concerning this issue, and hope that it will be resolved soon. My guess is that they either haven't set me up with an address yet, or they have neglected to send me the correct login details.

By the way, my broadband order is STILL apparently in progress, according to the BT.com website. What's the betting that BT have cocked up?Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@harrybeadlebaum wrote:

Thanks for the info Andy.

@Have already tried what you suggested, but the letter clearly states that: "Your Total Broadband username is also your BT email address", and my username ends @btinternet.com

I have now officially contacted BT concerning this issue, and hope that it will be resolved soon. My guess is that they either haven't set me up with an address yet, or they have neglected to send me the correct login details.

By the way, my broadband order is STILL apparently in progress, according to the BT.com website. What's the betting that BT have cocked up?Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the info. I have heard of problems in the past with user's email address "not being" activated, or similar sort of problem.

It is actually possible to see if an account is active, it depends what message is received. Try to login to :-

http://mail.yahoo.com

using your given full email address and password combination.

If you get "This ID is not yet taken ....", then the email address has not actually been setup (or activated).

If you get "Invalid ID or password.", then this usually means an incorrect password.

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

AH!, it could be the password!

When I last tried logging in to BT Yahoo I got the "Invalid ID or password." message.

It's also good to know that my case is not unique.

Thanks for the extra information Andy, and I'll keep the forum posted on my progress with BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

@harrybeadlebaum wrote:

AH!, it could be the password!

When I last tried logging in to BT Yahoo I got the "Invalid ID or password." message.

It's also good to know that my case is not unique.

Thanks for the extra information Andy, and I'll keep the forum posted on my progress with BT.

Have a peek at my shortcuts option 3, you may be able to reset the password using that link - but it is also possible that the ID is partially active and the database doesn't fully recognise the whole id/password combo.

Of course, with that option it requests various security items, which you may have not setup as such - or has been done for you ......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Update:

A guy from BT Technical Help phoned me about 40 minutes ago, and then passed me on to BT Yahoo's Helpdesk. The very helpful Indian man I spoke to confirmed what I already suspected, that my email address does not exist!

After three heroic attempts to sort out this with the Order Management Team - he got cut off three times! - I eventually asked him to stop trying, and that I would raise the matter with them personally at a later date.

It would seem that the problem rests with the Order Management Team, who don't seem to have asked BT Yahoo to set it up for me!

Once again, I've just checked at BT.com to see what's going on with my broadband order, and guess what, it's now been cancelled!!Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps this might explain why the chap in India was having such a hardtime with the UK based staff...

Since I know exactly what's going to happen when I phone them: "I'm sorry Sir but your order has been cancelled etc etc", I was wondering if perhaps one of the forum moderators could look into my issue?.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Harrybeadlebaum

Having read this thread I must admit I am curious to find out whats been happening here.

Drop an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with the account details and if you have them the order reference numbers.

Also please include a link to this thread in the email.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

OK, another update:

I had a phone call from BT about an hour ago to tell me that I now have the email address. Tried logging in, and still no joy, but at least this time the password retrevial program recognises my address so that's a definate improvement!Smiley Tongue It looks like there is still a problem with the password...

Anyway, I'm now going to try and phone the helpline number I've been given. I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Ok, well it's all finally sorted out now.

The chaps in India eventually managed to reset my password, and I can now receive email!Smiley Happy

Many thanks to everyone here for your help.

0 Ratings