cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New BT Customer - Speeds below the "minimum guaranteed"

For the previous 19 months before joining BT, I was with Plusnet on their unlimited fibre package. For the first 15 months I was happily receiving 33mbps download & 7.5mbps upload speeds, after this I had nothing but issues with them. My speeds dropped to under 25mbps download & 3mbps upload. I obviously contacted their support who were unable to solve my problems & said that the "absolute ceiling for my speeds was 26mbps" - They couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me why for the first 15 months of my contract that I was getting much better speeds with them (nothing had changed on my end) and they didn't seem to care therefore leaving me with pretty much no option but to find a new ISP.

After a little bit of shopping around, I decided to join BT, after all it's their equipment that other companies such as plusnet use, so they should be able to offer me what my line can truely handle, shouldn't they?

Upon ordering Infinity 1 with BT, I was told during my order and later in an email the following;

-----

How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 40Mb and 54Mb, and your upload speed will be between 8Mb and 10Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 35Mb.

-----

I thought to myself, "this is great, i am finally going to get the speeds that I am paying for again". So my activation date was Monday the 21st of November - I got a text first thing in the morning telling me that my order was complete, so I hooked up my new BT hub 6, first thing I done was to run a speedtest and to my amazement I was getting the same dreadful speeds that I was getting with plusnet. I logged into my router & I saw there was a performance test option, so I completed the steps and was then told that I should be receiving better speeds and advised to contact live chat, which I did. They were very friendly but assured me that it would take a couple of days for my line to stablise & they were "certain" that I would receive my guaranteed speeds so I wouldn't need to talk to them again.

After reading a similiar line in my welcome email which stated;

-----

For the first three days, your broadband speed might go up and down. That's normal. To find out more about it, and how to get the most from your broadband speed, go to bt.com/newbroadbandspeed

-----

I decided that I would give it the first 3 days and hoped that the speeds would start to climb. I did notice a few times that then when we were watching netflix on our chromecast the router would disconnect (which I expected), but every time our speeds would fail to increase.

So here I am wondering what my next step should be or if anyone has any suggestions as to why my speeds would of dropped during my time with plusnet and would continue to be well under my "guaranteed" minimum with BT? I understand that with the minimum it can be 2/3mbps out from what I will actually get but my latest speed test on a wired connection read 22.89mbps & 2.86mbps.  

I have attached some screenshots of things that might be useful.

I'm less than impressed with my first few days giving that I had to pay £59.99 connection charge to get well below my "guaranteed" speed.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New BT Customer - Speeds below the "minimum guaranteed"

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Currently in the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcement.

Do you have any extension wiring?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

dwni wrote: advised to contact live chat, which I did. They were very friendly but assured me that it would take a couple of days for my line to stablise & they were "certain" that I would receive my guaranteed speeds so I wouldn't need to talk to them again.

Did i just chat with the same support guy as you only those are the words he used with me as I'm having the same issue as you too 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

hi @Keith_Beddoe, my socket is the last one of those, with openreach on the top left.

my line is really quiet during the "quiet line test".

@darsuke- I guess its all just pre-written answers. 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@dwni

But do you have any extensions, and are they wired correctly, see below.

Any extensions should be totally dead once you remove the bottom section of the master socket.

If not, then you have "star" wiring which will affect your connection speed.

Image1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 13

If the last socket in the above line-up then remove the bottom section and connect to the test socket. Ensure there are no extentions (if any) are still working and post the stats.

Providing no extentions are still working you will have ruled out any problem with your home wiring and the fault is outside your property.

You then have a case for an engineer to call at no charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Sorry for lack of replies, BT organised an engineers appointment for today so just looking some follow up information.

After the engineer visit today, he found no issues with the line or wiring, however when I explained my story of having faster speeds with plusnet previously he asked me "did plusnet upgrade your package when the speeds went downhill?" - the answer was yes. I had been on the 40/10 package with plusnet (30+mbps down & 7.5mbps up), with no issues & they upgraded me (all customers) to 55/10. The BT engineer thinks that the increase to the 55/10 circuit may actually be causing my speeds to drop rather than give me more.

So with that in mind;

1) Is it possible to have BT restrict my Infinity 1 to a 40/10 circuit to at least see if it helps? If so, then how would I go about making this change?

2) What are my options about being sold a "guranteed minimum of 35mbps" - when infact I am getting more than 10mbps less than that? I understand that the estimates can be 2/3mbps out, but to be more than 10mbps out is ridiculous.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

The engineer is talking rubbish about there being a different circuit. Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 are the same product and are delivered along the same circuits/lines. The only difference is a software cap on the Infinity 1 package to stop you getting above 52Mbps if your line could support speeds above that.

You need to get back onto BT and complain about being under the minimum guaranteed speed.

0 Ratings