cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

New BT Hub 5

I have just had this installed. But it’s in a different room from my PC's. Can anyone tell me where or how to get an extension cable so I can move the hub to a different room. And what connections I need to do it. And does anyone know where I can buy it.?

If I got them to change the entry point to my room I would have lost my extensions that I have.

Thank You

Alan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New BT Hub 5

leave the hub were it is and buy a longer ethernet cable
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

A good quality normal telephone extension cable will do.  It might give a bit of speed loss but over a short distance of say less than 30 meters it should not be to much. You should be able to get one at a computer store or an electronics store.

If you find that the speed loss is unacceptable you could try having a CAT5E cable made up with the correct connections fitted. This may lower any speed loss.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Are you on BT Infinity?

How many PC's need to be connected by ethernet?

Can the PC's use wireless instead?

These are all important questions to consider when deciding the best way to make the most of your broadband signal.

You could buy longer cables as suggested above, alternatively you could purchase usb wireless adapters so there are no cables needed. Or you could purchase Powerline Adapters which transfer the broadband signal through your electricity sockets.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Yes its BT Infinity 2 i have. I need to add 2 PC's a Sky box, a Panasonic 3D DVD and a Onkyo AV. I have an nexgear for the extra Ethernet.

I was looking for a good extenshion cable to run. Is the conection DSL and ADSL the same. ? Or is one diffrent for the other.

Thank You

Alan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 6

The DSL connection is an anolog extension to the telephone, and uses US style telephone plugs.

An ethernet connection is digital and uses ethernet plugs.

You can use ethernet cable with the right plugs for a DSL extension, or twisted pair telephone cable.  Either way you may lose some speed; probably not very much, and probably less with good quality Ethernet cable. (as gg30340 says)

If you use an ethernet extension you will need an ethernet switch at the end away from the hub; or maybe even a wireless router acting as switch if you need good wireless signal.  You should not see any loss of speed.  I'd go for this (as john46 also suggested).

Powerlines are handy for extra connections at a distance but can be quite flaky; for example they helped me get a reliable but slowish connection in the garden via the garage and a long extension lead.  I would't use them for my main connections.  Also, my experience with Zyxel 500 powerline reliability is not good:  1 of a pair died almost at once and was replaced, and a year or so in another has failed after very little use ~ so 2/3 dead.

0 Ratings