cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

New BT/Humax Box to replace silver BT Vision Box

I have recently installed the new black Youview+ box to replace my old silver BT Vision Box. I was very happy with the old service but am disappointed with the new offering. It is very slow to respond to the remote, slow to start up from standby (and yes I have selected the low eco option). The menu structure is not as user friendly as the previous version and not as legible either. Maybe because of a lot of black on the screen or that a lot of screen space is wasted with garbage in the header. My cables and antenna are OK as I can watch TV straight off the antenna OK and stream on demand content from my laptop or tablet to a spare HDMI port without a problem. I don't have any functions as yet that do not work so the hardware seems to be OK but it is just not as good as it should be or used to be. I have the latest BT hub 5

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: New BT/Humax Box to replace silver BT Vision Box

The latest YouView box is actually pretty quick to startup & respond to the remote. It sounds as though you've been given the old box - the Humax T1000 - as that does suffer from a lack of speed all round.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Are BT sports on LCN 58 & 59?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Thanks Tim,

I suspect you may be right from looking at what I think are the pics of the devices available on the internet, ant the fact that it has a label DTR-T1000...... on the back!

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 21

If you took BT up on their offer of a free BT Youview+ box to replace an old silver BT Vision+ box then yes, you will have been sent the older model BT Youview+ box. It has been discussed on several other threads and that's the deal BT are offering. No £35 activation fee for the box but it's not the latest model. The offer also allowed some customers to stay on their existing TV PAYG package which has no fixed monthly costs. If they had started a normal new package to get the latest model box they would have had to pay at least £5 per month.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

@umpire wrote:

If you took BT up on their offer of a free BT Youview+ box to replace an old silver BT Vision+ box then yes, you will have been sent the older model BT Youview+ box. It has been discussed on several other threads and that's the deal BT are offering. No £35 activation fee for the box but it's not the latest model. The offer also allowed some customers to stay on their existing TV PAYG package which has no fixed monthly costs. If they had started a normal new package to get the latest model box they would have had to pay at least £5 per month.

It's all very confusing. I exchanged a silver box and a PAYG deal for the YouView+ Humax DTR-T1000, with no other BTV services and no activation fee and an 18th contract, but was told I had to pay £5/month for BTV Essentials. Still waiting to see if that is actually the case, but I may not find out till August when the next bill is due.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who had the same upgrade deal from silver box plus PAYG, to YouView+ 18month contract for phone/broadband, and did NOT get charged the £5 monthly fee OR the £35 activation.

The box itself seems to be working okay, although I agree - the interface is less easy to see and understand than the old one. I like the facility to watch programmes from the previous week, iPlayer etc are working well so far, and apart from the startup, the box is responsive. Despite being told that I couldn't record from the box to a DVD, that works fine, and I am able to record the iPlayer output via the Youview box to a DVD.

So far, all the scheduled recordings have worked.

Weakest part of the service? Advice available from the Sales team. Truly awful. They forgot to send the box first time round... and told me I couldn't have had "rewind of live TV" on the old silver box if I only had a PAYG contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Thanks umpire, I'm beginning to see where this is heading. I may have to sign up to a paid monthly service to get a functional box. Basically all we couple of 70 year old pensioners do is watch recorded stuff from the free to air channels and some of the on demand stuff on iplayer and the like. I can get the iplayer stuff and the other channels by plugging my tablet or laptop into a spare HDMI port on the TV so really all I need is a recorder which is kind of all I have been doing with the old BT Vision Box. I am going to look at freeview and freesat offerings if BT don't sort me out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 21

I can confirm that I have been upgraded to the new (as in "new old stock") YouView box for no fee at all.

I did not have to pay any activation fee, or delivery charge, and I did not subscribe to any BT Vision packages at all.  The only thing I had to agree to was an 18 month contract.

It seems that some BT customer service people are completely mis-informed about that offer that BT made to owners of the old silver boxes.  They are treating it as a new sale, rather than the free upgrade that customers were offered in writing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 21

"I did not have to pay any activation fee, or delivery charge, and I did not subscribe to any BT Vision packages at all.  The only thing I had to agree to was an 18 month contract."

Me too!

You get the 'old stile' box but it's not that long ago it was the 'new stile' box and mine works great.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

I was able to stay on my original silver box package with the free new black box, that is no fee but the 18 month contract. I suppose I should have known there was a downside. The new black box is really sluggish, has no favourites, and no alphabetical listings in the On Demand section which is totally crazy. The user guide says it does have it but it doesn't. The User Guide also keeps refering to Catch Up, but there isn't any Catch Up, it is now scrolling back in the guide instead. It really irritates me to get a user guide that is incorrect in basic functionality. I feel I have been fobbed off with a greatly inferior product - presumably BT just wanted to get rid of these T1000s. I loved my slver box and am very unhappy with  this new black box. I don't feel it's given me much that I didn't already have on the silver box.

As for telephone support, it is horrendous. I had to repeat every sentence about 10 times and still the agent failed to understand it, not even a complicated question. I was on the phone for hours for something that should have taken 5 minutes or less. Came away highly stressed without really getting the information I wanted.

I think the whole thing is a big con.

0 Ratings