cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: New BT Infinity Install Today - Upload speed almost at zero but download OK?

Go to solution

It should not be connected to the Openreach modem. The Homehub 5 has an inbuilt modem. I guess it was a contractor that you got to install it. See link how to connect the Homehub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46549/~/bt-home-hub-5

If you don't feel confident doing this your self you will need to contact BT and complain about the incompetent install.

EDIT: This assumes you have FTTC and not FTTP as Ray has pointed out.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Re: New BT Infinity Install Today - Upload speed almost at zero but download OK?

Go to solution
unlikely to be a contractor to install FTTP
0 Ratings
beesfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

I can't connect the homehub to the phone socket as there is nowhere for the lead to go.

The new phone socket the BT openreach guy fitted only has a socket for a normal phone - on top is a slideable switch that says Fibre and Copper - it's currently set to copper

He did say that my phone line would now be fibre too if that helps?

Ethernet cable is in port 1 of the white openreach box on the wall and that ethernet cable goes to the WAN port on the homehub 5

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Yeah, you have FTTP.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution
try sliding the switch to fibre and see if that solves the problem
0 Ratings
beesfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Turns out what the engineer told me was a switch is simply a slideable cover so no joy there.

This is getting stranger and stranger.

For example if I go to http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet and do the "can I get ultrafast BT iffinity" I enter my phone number and it comes back to say "sorry we can't find your number"

If I login to myBT at the top of the page it says my phone and broadband order is in progress - if I track it it says in progress even though the install date was yesterday. There is a faq saying why does my order say strill in progress although date has passed - the answer says there has been a problem and gives me an 0800 number to phone - did that and after some IVR nonsence it tells me the helpdesk is shut and cuts me off!

Also in myBT under "My Broadband" it says no broadband in this account!!!

Is there a number I can call that doesn't involve India - surely there has been some sort of **bleep**-up here somewhere?

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution
The dedicated FTTP number is 0800 032 0843
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
beesfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Well it seems to have resolved itself!

Was great all day yesterday and speed tests reveal it is performing as per the estimates given so happy days  - just hope it stays that way - thanks for the replies guys.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

That's great news 🙂

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings