cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Digger2103
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

New BT Infinity customer. Speed keeps dropping

Hello. Please can anyone offer any advice?

I joined BT on 19th July excited that I would get a quick reliable internet connection. I was promised a speed of between 39Mb to 45Mb. The homehub arrived and was plugged directly into the master socket. There are no other phone connection in the house. An engineer did not visit to set up the home hub.

From day one we noticed that browsing websites was at times extremely slow and trying to watch/listen to any kind of streaming video/radio was pointless as it would buffer every 20 seconds or so. After a couple of days of waiting to see if it would get better I contacted BT, through the web chat portal, and was told it takes 10 days to settle. Ten days came and went and still no improvement. Using the BT and a third party website (Speedtest.net) I was recording speeds of anything from 0.03 Mb one minute then two minutes later would have 42Mb. More often than not, the speed is between 3Mb to 7Mb and sometimes bursts to late 30's early 40's, but ALWAYS drops again to the slower speeds.

This was again reported through the BT portal and an engineer was booked for 7 days time (08/08/16). The engineer arrived, did some tests and confirmed he could find nothing wrong with the line. He did decide to replace the master socket though. He said to "see how that goes and if you still have the same problem then ask for a new router. If that doesn't work then ask for another engineer to check the cabinet end". A new router was ordered and arrived a few days later. This made no difference whatsoever.

I contacted BT again (10/08/16) through the portal to find the fault call had been closed and that I had to open another call. Eventually another engineer was booked in another 7 days time to check the "cabinet". The evening before the engineer was due to arrive (16/08/16) we received a call and a text from BT stating "that a fault had been found in the cabinet and that an engineer did not need to visit our house. When the fault is fixed we would be texted by BT to say the connection is working again". We are still waiting to hear from BT.

Today (20/08/16) I have contacted BT through the web chat portal to be told that my fault call has been closed. No explanation has been given. All I know is we still have a very poor internet service that at times becomes unuseable.

Sorry for waffling on so much, but I am totally frustrated with all this. It there anything I can do apart from making contact through the dreaded BT portal, where it seems everyone is just reading from a script.

I have just run a speed test from my laptop on a wired connection directly plugged into my router through www.speedtest.net. I get 4.18Mb down and 6.21 Mb up.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

John.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New BT Infinity customer. Speed keeps dropping

are you using a wired or wireless connection ?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

can you please post the results of the BT Wholesale speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ using a wired connection
0 Ratings
Digger2103
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi John.

Thank you for responding.

I have followed the instructions on the BT website using a laptop wired directly to the router.

The test result is as follows:-

6.94 down

5.48 up

37.00 ping latency

Regards.

John.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

could you please post the further diagnostics part of the speedtest
0 Ratings
Digger2103
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

OK. I have rerun the test and get the following from the further diagnostics. I have run it a number of times and get the same result.

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 6.21 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 5.4 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Chrisfuller create your own thread
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Digger2103
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hi guys.
Any more thoughts on this issue?
There is no more information regarding the error that gets mentioned in the speedtest results.

Thanks in advance.
John.
0 Ratings