cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

New BT Infinity install speed test

Just got BT infinity installed and tested its speed. Although the modem in synced at around 40K (at least that is what engineer said, seem no way to get to BT infinity line stats) and my IP profile is 38.7K I can only get max 16-17K download speeds, I am not sure what is wrong and hope it sorts its self out. Here is the output from the BT speed test.

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 14995 Kbps

0 Kbps 38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 14995 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 7778 Kbps

0 Kbps 10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7778 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Anyone got a clue why I am not getting higher download speeds?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: New BT Infinity install speed test

With any speed test it depends on congestion, your profile is the same as mine for Infinity though today my best effort is 28880/8118Kbps for BT's speedtest. Typically I see a peak down/up speed of 38000/8000Kbps with speedtest.net but again will depend on time of day and server connection.

Another cause is the modem may have seen an error, and has connected you at a slower speed although it's within BT's acceptable speed range for Infinity. Your could try rebooting your modem then the hub to see if this improves your connection.

0 Ratings
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

I wish you could get at the line stats on this Infinity product then I might have more of clue what was going on. With the ASDL if they caped the speed on your line it was done by altering the IP profile, the infinity broadband seems to have something other than the IP profile that can significantly throttle your speed.

Is restarting your hub or modem in the 10 day stabilisation period a bad idle, or does it just restart the process?Already had to power everything down once to move the furniture back.

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

As far as getting at the stats you would need to query the modem using pppoe s/w directly connected to a PC, I've only seen it mentioned once and that was using Linux.

As far as capping/DLM as I said before this may be from an error with the connection a section from Sin498.

"2.2.5 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed, in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly
manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product
exists.

At provision, the line is put on wide open profiles, allowing downstream line speeds
of up to 40Mbit/s, and upstream line speeds of up to 15Mbit/s.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.
Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before intervening, provided
that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.
DLM will therefore set the line so that upstream line rate is no more than the bought
rate no later than the day after provision.

If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum
rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The
purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is
significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then
the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user
powering off the Active NTE.
"

From the documention that came with the Hub they only require the gear to be powered up for the first 24 hours after that its up to you. I'm not sure if this will  cause the 10 day training period to start again.

0 Ratings
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Yikes conection down to 8kbps now 8(

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
8494 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 8494 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
8123 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8123 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
adamwebb28
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

What time are you running these tests? I've noticed a get very varied speeds during peak hours on infinity. I think its just down to congestion with BT (never had this problem with Be but then I only had a 3mbps connection).

Try running a test on speedtest.net and also try BT's test in the morning. See if you get any better results. At 8mbps BT would have to sort the line out as Infinity is a guaranteed minimum 15mbps.
0 Ratings
Saeybia
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Wow! Sounds like you have a real problem there!! If you are only getting between 8-16mb!! I'm on ADSL up to 20 or whatever it's called and I get a min of 16mb!!
0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Mad_scientist

Did you try a reboot of the modem & hub, or did you just try another speed test?

If there is an issue with your install you will probably have to wait the 10 days, you could contact one of the mods to see if they could look into it.

0 Ratings
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Just did another speedtest, might try a power cycle. Called BT and they confirmed modem is synced at 39mb/s and could see no errors on the line. Said it normaly takes 48 hours for the service to hit max speed but what you should see is speed increasing over time not the oposit.

0 Ratings
jasetheace
Message 10 of 10

I had the BT infinity instaled this morning.

first test using speedtest.net was 37.14mb/s

after couple of hours surfing im now down to nothing....takes like 3 minutes to load google home page..

does the line become unstable for a couple of days or have i got a problem already......

0 Ratings