cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanchown
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: New BT Infinity option and some questions

But that doesn't necessarily mean only those areas that served by Virgin. It will be rolled out where it is economically viable to do so, in those areas where it may not be, e.g. Cornwall, other ways of funding/providing it are required (in that case EU funding to the local authority). Obvioulsy there will be some correlation between where it is viable for Virgin and BT. At least 2/3rd of the country will be covered by 2015- are Virgin covering 2/3rd of the country?
To say BT don't want to roll out FTTC or FTTP is just wrong- Openreach I am sure wish to invest in the network, so they still have a network to sell services on. CPs can buy their services from aanyone (well not VM of course as they won't wholesale).
0 Ratings
olisun
Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Thanks for all your responses.

One last question, to what speed does your line get throttled to when you go over the 300gb limit?

Is the speedcap brought in if the downloads are done during peak times or a combination of both?

Speeds of "1mb" during peak hours seem a bit harsh if the customer has been downloading most of his stuff during off-peak hrs as I don't think how this will have an impact on the experience of other users.

"BT continuously monitors network performance and reduces the speed available to very heavy users (typically less than 1 per cent of all customers) during a given month to ensure that the service received by other customers is not impacted through extremely heavy usage by a minority of people.

Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues. This applies to customers on all Options."

0 Ratings
dersam
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Maybe what people should be saying is, BT will only install where they can sell the FTCC products, either via BT Retail (Infinity) or other BB providers (including virgin!).

I live in a town where BB is only available via the phone line (aka - NO VIRGIN CABLE) and we get FTCC in March 2011.
0 Ratings
olisun
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

@olisun wrote:

Thanks for all your responses.

One last question, to what speed does your line get throttled to when you go over the 300gb limit?

Is the speedcap brought in if the downloads are done during peak times or a combination of both?

Speeds of "1mb" during peak hours seem a bit harsh if the customer has been downloading most of his stuff during off-peak hrs as I don't think how this will have an impact on the experience of other users.

"BT continuously monitors network performance and reduces the speed available to very heavy users (typically less than 1 per cent of all customers) during a given month to ensure that the service received by other customers is not impacted through extremely heavy usage by a minority of people.

Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues. This applies to customers on all Options."

Anyone?

0 Ratings
pinshot
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

BT absolutely has not wanted to pull its finger out for years. The only reason they have even begun upgrading their network is because it became laughable. The roll-out is nothing short of playing catchup to others. As for economically viable? Well i live just down the road from the exchange, i am 150 meters from cabinet and there are older houses surrounding that have access to other ISPs. Guess what? Those older houses got Infinity and the newer ones didnt. They simply ignored the cabinet. And there are multiple reports elsewhere of the same thing going on.

The UK IS THE LEAST LIKELY PLACE IN THE WORLD for you to get superfast broadband (which ironically includes infinity at only 40mps compared to some places getting 1gbps) 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/02/ofcom_world_comms_report/.

This mess is almost squarely to blame on BT. Since there is virtually no competition to them as other ISPs isnt doing anything like a proper expansion BT hold 50% of the nation and then a vast portion of the other 50% that is covered by others. Its a disgrace! This is what happens when there is no effective competition. Lack of innovation and refusal to invest.

Furthermore, the icing on the cake ( or the turd in the punchbowl to be more precise) is BT announcing trials of 1Gps broadband ( that i would stake my home on them not providing within a decade ), asking for more money for FTTC expansions ( where other countries can do it with coming cap in hand to the tax payer ) and STILL only doing half a job on network rollout. I mean havnt they figured out how much cash they would save by building ALL newbuild homes with FTTH. No digging up roads, no council permission and massive savings on man hours! Wait, since virgin are now doing this i guess its only a matter of time before BT AGAIN choose to copy them!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4493-virgin-media-partner-with-persimmon-homes-to-extend-coverage...

Fact is UK infrastructure is a joke on multiple fronts!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alanchown
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

I don't know how you can call £2.5 billion a 'refusal to invest". 2/3rd of the country will be covered by 2015, and up to 90% if there is some external funding. I wouldn't have thought that compared unfavourably with other utilities. I understand that no cabinets are 'simply ignored' but there may be reasons why a cabinet is not upgraded or is waiting to be upgraded, e.g planning, power and other engineering difficulties.

In the link you quoted from The Register I believe you may have missed this bit "Ofcom does note that if plans for deployment of superfast broadband to two-thirds of the population by 2015 will put the UK near the top of the world rankings"

0 Ratings
Damsonjam
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Not sure its entirely accurate to suggest BT isn't pulling its finger out and is only doing what it is 'made' to do: BT is highly regulated (overly so IMHO, but it is purely a matter of opinion) and parasitised by other ISPs etc so it makes sound business sense only to invest where they can get a good return.

We've got Infinity here. Virgin wasn't (and will not be) an option - they won't pay to lay cables out here since its deemed too 'rural' (**bleep** knows what rural is nowadays.. I'm surrounded by houses!) - so I'm grateful 🙂

BT is forced to make its ducts and exchanges available to the competion (not necessarily vice versa) so they have to make business based decisions as opposed to being a charity... hence they should be heavily subsidised if its not otherwise viable for them..

0 Ratings