cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New BT Mail, BT ID and sub accounts - bewildered

We have not yet been migrated. In advance, I would like clarification of  the role of the My BT ID - I have been reading various posts about it and am still very unclear.

My husband is the primary account holder with a primary and a sub account , then I use  two sub accounts and my daughters have two each as well. We have all had the  emails to our accounts re the move and new settings (re pop/IMAP)   I check all the utility bills etc so my husband has given me the My BT log in details to verify  our BT bills (though not his email log ins).

I don't understand about the new set up: do we sub account holders , apart from my husband, have to create new My BT accounts for ourselves ?  How  ? Do we all use the  existing one ?   If it is relevant, my husband and I both use Outlook mail client and the two  girls use  web mail to access email

Would be very grateful for any help

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New BT Mail, BT ID and sub accounts - bewildered

Hi sufer157,

Thanks for posting, you don't have to add all the sub accounts to the main BT ID.  Check out this link for more info on what you need to do.

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Clear as mud!!!!

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 10

@surfer157, I was migrated recently and I too was confused, but have a look at the link it may help to understand what happens.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-email/td-p/1288013

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 10

here is another link that describes the process I went through.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Help-Please/td-p/1294241
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thank you very much for your responses, NeilO and Dippu.

I am still a bit confused though - the link that NeilO sent seems to say that the Primary has to set up BT IDs for the sub accounts, but the other threads from Dippu's links  links seem to suggest that the sub accounts can set them up themselves ?

Or am I reading this wrong ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

This is my understanding, not sure if it is correct. To administer a mail account a BT ID is required, thus email addresses are linked to a BT ID but can be any BT ID I.e the primary account holder can administer the accounts or each sub account can be associated with its own ID.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@surfer157, the sub-accounts will receive an email telling them that they have been migrated. When they try to log into their email a "splash" screen will appear and then it will take them through the process of creating the BT ID. You can not proceed to the your email page unless you go through this process.

Basically, the BT ID is your email which is supported by a password that you can select.

When I went through the process, I kept the same passowords as used in the old BTYahoo therefore I did not have to update any of the devices with a new password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

But does it have to be a 1 to 1 relationship, Neil O's post seems to imply otherwise.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 10

No it does not have to be 1 to 1 relationship. In fact I do not know one of my daughters password! she kept it secret from me, but I do have the authority to delete her account!!! if she upsets me 🙂