cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wrichards
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

New BT Youview box replacement

I have recently signed up to youview with BT (about 3 months ago), however, I am finding my Youview Box to be impossibly slow and unresponsive. I regularly have to restart it, which takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

While searching on the internet regarding this issue, I found the following article which mentions that most BT customers can upgrade for £35 - Will I be able to upgrade for this fee so soon?

I know that I shouldnt pay another £35 to BT because the box is rubbish - but it's enough getting the BT advisors to understand what your saying, let alone replace a box.

The link is http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/bt-launches-smallest-youview-box-yet-11363879465221

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
marc2629
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: New BT Youview box replacement

My box (a previous Gen like yours) is the same. It wouldn't sit very well with me having to fork out for a new box so soon after entering into contract. However, you could always sell your one for approx £50 to cover the cost.

Given the UI and features have not changed, it makes you wonder what prompted a new box. Why fix that which (apparently) isn't broken?
0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@marc2629 wrote:

Given the UI and features have not changed, it makes you wonder what prompted a new box. Why fix that which (apparently) isn't broken?

As often in life, the simplest answer is the correct one.

BT were always going to use a different box to the original retail one. They originally had Pace lined up to make some for them but that fell through and so they ended up going with the boxes which were already in production.

0 Ratings
gwatuk
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

@marc2629 wrote:
...it makes you wonder what prompted a new box...

Because BT had the sense to realise that all the first generation YouView boxes did not have enough processor power and memory to provide a fast responsive user interface.

All the reports of the the new box say that it transforms the YouView experience (in a good way!)

Cat Happy

0 Ratings