Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dodgydo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: New BT e mail

Go to solution

Thanks for the info but what a totally shambolic system. I dont want to spend 15 minutes getting into my emails and Im sure no one else does either. I certainly dont want to spend another few hours setting this up either.

Whoever thought this up at BT must want their head tested or was a retired person who needs a life.

0 Ratings
Nantybig
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

.................or was a retired person who needs a life.

Sadly, quite the opposite I would guess.

The retired person would possibly have more integrity and pride in his workmanship to allow something to be released before it was at least 99% perfect.

BT, like a multitude of industries these days, got rid of thousands of  'greybeards', who possibly had no paper qualifications, but knew what made things work and how to solve problems by the old way.

They started as the tea lad, working their way to become a master at their craft, solving problems by logic, knowing the system inside out and the old seat of the pants method.

Who were they replaced by ?

Yup, graduates who had spent six or so years studying, but had no practical experience.

You only have to look on many forums, not only for I.T. problems, like this one, where customers are having problems, have contacted the support bods, have had the problem escalated to wherever in the clouds the 'experts' reside and still no solution, explanation, or pertinent instructions.

Yet on those forums, as on here, folk find solutions that the experts couldn't find.Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
esmont
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution
The new BT mail has gaping holes in its security. Out of frustration I am now using Gmail as my main account and am forwarding my BT mail there. When I set up the forwarding address, BT did not ask me to verify I own the forwarding address, it was just accepted. If I forward email on my Gmail account it always demands the forwarding address be verified. VERY poor security BT.
0 Ratings
PPcards
Beginner
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

I've been having terrible problems with the new BT mail - slow, logs out after 20mins, et. etc.

I joined this forum and read up about what other people were doing.  as a result, I've loaded Thunderbird, and wow- what a difference!

I've not very computer-savvy - terrified incase I delete everything in error - but this is easy peasy.

Do it - no more BT problems.

Thanks to all for the advice.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@PPcards wrote:

I've been having terrible problems with the new BT mail - slow, logs out after 20mins, et. etc.

I joined this forum and read up about what other people were doing.  as a result, I've loaded Thunderbird, and wow- what a difference!

I've not very computer-savvy - terrified incase I delete everything in error - but this is easy peasy.

Do it - no more BT problems.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Welcome to the forum. Some people have a special reason for using webmail (I do myself when abroad) but for the most part I can't understand why so many stick with webmail unless it's just to have a whinge about it here, however jusdtified that may be. Apart from the operational improvements, an email client is safer if the computer is properly backed up plus your contacts list is far more secure from hacking. Good to see you've chosen the way forward.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
tickhill
Expert
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Despite the advance warning of the change to BTMail which I received four months ago it hasn't yet happened.

To those who have been transferred from BTYahoo Mail to BTMail - how long did it take after the advance notice?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

There is no set time scale. You just need to wait until it happens.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution
Mine took 8 weeks
0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

The email which said "about to move you" came several months ago!!

Richard

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Well something very strange just happened. I tried to get my emails (I use Thunderbird) but I got a message that Thunderbird had timed out trying to connect to btinternet.com - this is unusual as normally if it goes wrong I'm told that my password is wrong (just like many others). I then normally log onto MyBT, select email, log on, log off, go back to Thunderbird and all is then OK as my password is suddenly remembered!! So I thought I would do the same with this 'new' error message. However, when I logged onto MyBT a diierent page to the one I'm used to came up - it was still BT and asked for a BT ID. Ah ha I thought, I've finally been migrated - now for some fun (not)!!!  However, I could go no further and the connection to bt.com then timed out - and the computer would not connect to anything despite apparently having an internet connection according to the network signal strength icon. So I rebooted the computer. Everything happened as it should and eventually I had an internet connection again.

I then connected again to MyBT and guess what? The page that came up was the old one!! I selected email, logged on and I was still on BT Yahoo. So it looks as though I had been migrated for a very short time (I had received an email sometime ago saying that I was going to be migrated) but I was almost immediately 're-migrated' to Yahoo.

What a carry on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings