Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 56

Re: New BT email - advert opt-out

Go to solution

The problem with complaining is that you accept BT's terms and conditions when you take their services, and those terms and conditions contain your agreement to advertisements in email. As stated here ad nauseam you can avoid them by using an email client or, if you insist on webmail, a browser with an ad blocker.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 56

Go to solution

Yes we accepted the T&Cs. I even read them but I don't think anyone expected the annoying top line adverts.

It is even sillier that we can avoid them by email client or different browser. Most will eventually do this if they are annoyed by them.

I doubt if anyone likes them and once everyone blocks them they will be totally ineffective whereas the previous adverts may have worked but they go as well.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 56

Go to solution

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd say that anyone driven to an email client has been done a favour as it's a much better way of handing email for those who don't have a special reason to stick with webmail. If ugly adverts drive sufficient people away, maybe advertisers will go elsewhere, and that would be two favours.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 44 of 56

Go to solution
totally agree ..the way that the advert is in bold makes it seem that it is the only thing unread. Hate it and moving on
Contributor
Message 45 of 56

Adverts in BTYahoo Web Mail

Go to solution
I use Waterfox as my web browser on a Win& platform. When i use BTYAHOO web mail I get very annoying adverts as a strap or masthead in every mailbox. I am unable to get rid of these adverts. Can anyone advise how to do so. Thanks
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 46 of 56

Re: Adverts in BTYahoo Web Mail

Go to solution

The only way is to go back to the old version.

click on 'Sort by date' to get drop down.

click on 'More settings'

Select: 'Viewing email'

Under 'Mail Version' select 'Basic'

click on 'Save'

This removes:

• Today, yesterday, last week etc. headings
  • Removes the spammy advert shown at top of email list as if it were trying to pretend to be the newest unread email.
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 56

Go to solution

I understand the 'solution' posted for the opt out.  What I don't understand is the that email interface provided by BT has an arrow on the right side of the inbox which allows you extend the width and thereby hide the irritating ads on the sidebar.  Except two seconds later it reverts to the standard width and reveals the ads again.  What's the point of that?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 56

Go to solution

I have changed my add preferrences language  to Cherokee so I will see if it makes any difference. I rather suspect it won't and whatever preferences etc we get it will still be the old repeditive ones.

On the right hand ads there is sometimes a cross which will let you report it as inappropriate when I am bored I report every advert but suspect it is just a form that goes no where. I have also reduced my age to the lowest selection to see if it stops funeral insurance etc.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 49 of 56

Go to solution

If you use Firefox, there is an extension called Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel 2.46, if you install this

extension in Firefox then access Yahoo web mail (BT Yahoo webmail) then you do not see the Ads either at the top or at the side. It works for me, I am using Firefox v.39 on Windows 8.1.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 56

Go to solution

Yes I do that thank you I just see the adds when I have to use someone elses PC. I was just amused that there was an option to select almost any language known to mankind and it does not seem to make any difference. I thought perhaps there would be less adverts targetted to Cherokee speaking people.

0 Ratings