Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

New BT line, broadband was great, now it's really slow

Go to solution

Hi guys,

Just had a new BT line activated (on the 11th April). It initally connected at 8 meg down, 1 meg up.

However, it dropped a few times, and my voice line was intermittently very crackly.

The previous owners of the house had installed two extensions directly into the back of the old-style master socket (there's no faceplate or anything). I removed these, and the crackling went away, and my HomeHub connected at 14 megs. Awesome!

However, a couple of days later, it's only connecting at 3meg down, 1 meg up, and the uptime on the HomeHub is never more than a day, so I guess it's dropping connection a lot.

While I was removing the extensions, I noticed that the master socket IDC connectors were very corroded - the socket looks like it's twenty years old. Do BT replace these for free, or would I have to pay for a new one if this was at fault?

I understand I might still be in the initial stabilisation period - but could someone confirm that the reported connection speed in the homehub should be quite high, and my IP profile is something else that operates independently underneath this connection speed, and adapts to the line?

I've opened a support ticket with BT via email, but thought I'd post here as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: New BT line, broadband was great, now it's really slow

Go to solution

if your line is still causing problems then you need to report a phone fault.  try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2  shouod hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal   if hiss/crackle then report a phone fault

phone faults 

can you post your adsl stats from your hub  enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser.  your profile is a function of your connection speed so faster conenction speed higher profile - profile 88.2% of conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly. I did do the quiet line test, and it was silent.

I'll post up the stats from the hub when I get home from work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

whenever you can there is always someone around to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Right, back at home. Connection stats are:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 01:24:56
Downstream:3,072 Kbps
Upstream:1,127 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):33.2 dB / 7.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):16.5 dB / 8.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 293
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 1019
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 106
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

you are now in a banded profile due to all the disconnection/resets as you tried to fix the noise problem.  now that you have fixed the line you need to remain connected 24/7 for the next 3+ days and the banding should release automatically with your noise margin dropping from 33db down to probably 15 or 12db with corresponding increase in conenction speed

if you get to 5 days and connection speed still at 3072 then repost stats as you need mod help

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
you are in a banded profile caused by all the disconnections you now need 3/5 days stable connection for the banding to release i would suggest that you try several quiet line tests over 24 hours and se if the noise is intermittent
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

OK, thanks guys. I'll leave it alone for a while and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

I left the hub connected, and it was stable for about 48 hours.

I switched my PC on this morning to find this:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 09:07:19
Downstream:11,591 Kbps
Upstream:1,107 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):16.0 dB / 8.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):8 / 42
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):32 / 72
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 19

That's a bit better!

Thanks for the advice guys.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

the banding has now released hence the speed improvement.  your noise margin is still high at 15 but if you just remain connected 24/7 that will drop to 6db and your conenction speed will increase even further