cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

New BT line for fibre in renovated house that did not get the BT master socket reinstalled

Go to solution

Hi all,

I’d like to know how to get a new install BT line, how much it may cost and which company I should I ask, especially with the new ultra fibre rollout.

Our renovated house has a BT copper cable to the eaves. It’s cut there. There is no master socket in the house anymore. The previous owners had Virgin run to a hub under the stairwell in the centre of the house, but didn’t reconnect the BT line.

Openreach have been in our street recently and have run new fibre to the cabinet. They have also put coiled cable ready to run to I presume our nearest pole, and then to our eaves.

I want to switch away from Virgin as they can’t resolve an ongoing service cutout issue. I understand to get a new supplier that I need a new BT master socket installed.

I’d like this put in this socket in the same stairwell, as all of the Ethernet ports across the house run from this. The fibre cable would need running from the eaves through the loft and down a 1st floor bedroom wall and then just nip under the floorboards to get to the stairwell - a bit of a job but not horrendous.

Obviously I’d like to ensure that cable is fibre ready. What is the best way to go about this?

Would BT do this if I ordered a new connection or do I need to speak to Openreach? And if it’s BT would the engineer put a ‘fibre ready’ line to where I wanted it or just to the nearest room to the eaves? Is this the £140 standard charge or extra?

Really appreciate any direction you can give on this.

Thank you

Andy

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: New BT line for fibre in renovated house that did not get the BT master socket reinstalled

Go to solution

Pick your choice of provider and they will arrange for Openreach to do the installation, almost all BT broadband packages include free connection, otherwise it's £130.

Message 3 of 3

Re: New BT line for fibre in renovated house that did not get the BT master socket reinstalled

Go to solution
Hi Richie, thanks for your quick reply! That’s great to know, I’ll get on to this. Cheers
0 Ratings