cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

New BT phone/Bband/TVpackage subscriber:OK so far but not impressed with some billing aspects

Hi

New user here.  Technically, the 'package' is working fine but 2 billing issues have arisen: 

1.  The phone/broadband transfer went ahead very efficiently on the date advised by BT.  However, I have been charged £30 by PlusNet for moving broadband to BT without obtaining a MAC code!  The transfer instructions from BT made no mention of the need to do this.  PlusNet have said that this is a cancellation charge which would have been avoided by asking for a MAC code: BT say that I shouldn't have been charged - particularly given the relationship between PlusNet and BT.  End result: I've had to pay to cancel the PlusNet account (which was still live after transfer to BT).  I really object to paying this, but have got nowhere with PlusNet or BT  despite several calls.

2.  I have exceeded my 20GB Infinity allowance in the first month.  Whilst I fully appreciate that the usage is correct (went a bit mad during the first week on NetFlix and films etc), I only received one email warning me that I was approaching the limit several days after the limit had been exceeded.  What use is that ?  I've now discovered the broadband usage monitor, but why provide usage warnings when they are pointless ?  After being transferred within the BT call teams 5 times about this, their advice was to wait for the bill covering the excess use and then take it up again with the billing team!  By that time I'd lost the will to live....

Sorry to sound like a real moaner, but the above experiences have taken the shine of the transfer, which is a pity because I'm impressed with everything else, as I've already mentioned.

Well, that's enough for a first post!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New BT phone/Bband/TVpackage subscriber:OK so far but not impressed with some billing aspects

When you moved from Plusnet to BT, BT should have told you if you needed a MAC code. See link

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/switching/else.html

The 20Gb limit is pretty low if you use Netflix. A movie can be about 7GB especially if you use HD. You may be better going for an unlimited package and not have to worry about what you are using.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: New BT phone/Bband/TVpackage subscriber:OK so far but not impressed with some billing aspects

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I did try this tack with BT mentioning this, but they are having none of it.  It's difficult getting resolution when the 2 providers are throwing stones at each other.  As you say, I definitely should have been advised better by BT.

Re. the 20GB allowance, yes, I'm beginning to find out that it's not enough even without NetFlix.  I fear I'll be switching to Unlimited soon.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I'm not sure because I have never used it but is it not the case that when you order from BT it requires you to put  a MAC code on the order form if one is required, which would mean if you could order without putting a MAC code on the order form that would imply that if one is not needed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

It used to allow you to enter an order but if a MAC was needed would get an email requesting the MAC and order wouldn't be progressed until this was supplied. I don't know if it still works like this. I would assume so.

As for the Netflix usage - if the original poster has a YouView box and a BT TV subscription then using Netflix on YouView shouldn't count towards Broadband usage - to be confirmed once BT publish their Netflix pricing. That being said I think an Infinity package with 20GB seems somewhat of an oxymoron. The basic Infinity 1 package used to have a 40GB allowance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I definitely was not asked for the MAC code, therefore I was happy in my ignorance (or not as it turned out)!

The basic Infinity package is indeed 20 Gb.

Interesting comment about Netflix....

0 Ratings